Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Home improvement scabbard upgrade Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Home improvement scabbard upgrade         Reply with quote

My A&A custom Type XX came with a standard leather "sheath" type scabbard, and while I would love to get a custom scabbard made for it, I dread both the expense and having to ship off my sword. For now, I decided to do what I could to make a 15th century style belt for it. I should say. that I am very lacking in skill and in tools, but that said - here are the results:

Attachment: 12.5 KB
FullLengthInScabbard_small.JPG

Attachment: 30.28 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 23.92 KB
[ Download ]
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: lookin' good......         Reply with quote

It all looks perfecly period-correct to me. I'm sure the originals were not all made by master leather-workers either. Oh.....and that little pig-sticker you have there...............AWESOME. Any chance of a review? mcm.
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: lookin' good......         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
It all looks perfecly period-correct to me. I'm sure the originals were not all made by master leather-workers either. Oh.....and that little pig-sticker you have there...............AWESOME. Any chance of a review? mcm.

Thanks Mark,

I should do a review of it, I know. I'm so emotionally attached to it, that it is sort of like trying to write an unbiased assessment of my own kids. By the time Nathan and the staff is up to an overview of Type XX swords, I'll try to get one in.

Gordon
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice looking belt. I have been wanting to make a belt rigging like that. Any tips or advice?
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its always hard to be sure of anything from pictures on the internet, but it looks like you did preety well to me. Cool
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This project was as cheap and easy as I could make it - materials cost less than $30:

XL wide leather woman's belt from Target ($15)
Overstock chape from Albion's moat ($5)
Period buckle from Historic Enterprises (8$)

I used a utility knife to carefully cut the belt into 3 pieces (length wise) with a "middle" piece about an inch wide for the actual belt, leaving the 2 outer pieces maybe 3/8 inch wide. I used the outer pieces to attach the belt to the scabbard (trial and error - trying to copy the look of Albions Regent or Viceroy scabbard attachements).

That is it - and it will do, I suppose, until I either get a lot more ambitious, or shell out some money for someone to do it up right.

I'm sure one could do a nicer job for not much more money - a tip plate for the end of the belt would be nice, and I'm sure a nicer grade of leather would not be hard to find.

Gordon

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Home improvement scabbard upgrade
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic