Identify this sword.
I have recently acquired a sword and I have no clue what it is other then what I have been told. The information I've been told is that it's a display. And it is something called a rapier. I know nothing else. Please help me identify what it is and possibly where it is from. I know it is most likely not real however I would like more information about it. Thank you in advance.

Attachment: 130.03 KB
[ Download ]
Welcome to the boards! It looks like you've been bitten by the "weapon bug". I hope this is the beginning of an enjoyable hobby (adventure?) for you. And hopefully we can be of service in your quest.
It looks like a decorative (all swords are decorative, but in this sense it means "do not swing it around or chop or stab anything with it, otherwise it could break off and hurt someone. Most possibly yourself.") representation of the Colada Del Cid.
From the pics, it looks like the guard and pommel are cast pot-metal with gold tone. There is no actual detail in all of the bumps and swirls. The original and many of the better replicas show details of figures (cherubs, angels, faces, and human figures?). The grip looks possibly to be plastic. The flatness symmetry of the blade speak to the fact that it is a wall-hanger and not to be handled aggressively.

The Colada of El Cid / El Campeador is one of the most replicated swords out there. If you google it, you will see many representations of it. (Speaking of El Cid, Charlton Heston did a fantastic job in the movie by that name, by the way. If you are interested in old hero movies like that.)

It's not a horrible tourist piece. But as you guessed it's not "real". But luckily for you, it's also not false (in a, "it's just a hologram!" or "it's made of spun sugar!" sense of the word) It's not valuable. I wouldn't bother getting it insured.
YMMV
-Terry
When I googled that name none of the swords looked like this one. Would better pictures help? Maybe I have googled the wrong thing...

Attachment: 208.86 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 178.32 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 165.08 KB
[ Download ]
I found a pic of a Tizona el Cid with the same grip. Most likely the same manufacturer, but no clue what made it.
[ Linked Image ]

There are a lot of variations on it, but I'm pretty sure yours is also a Colada. And when I google "Colada El Cid" I get about a thousand pictures of similar Toledo manufactured swords (though not identical to yours).
*EDIT* The castings on this piece appear identical to yours:
[ Linked Image ]

From: https://www.medieval-shop.co.uk/historical-swords/1286-colada-sword-of-el-cid.html

My guess is that yours is an older offering by the same manufacturer of this sword. They've just changed the grip.
-Terry
It does seem to be a mix of the two. Thank you very much for your help. It is nice to know what it is. I hope i can figure out how to hang it now :)
Alyssa Robb wrote:
It does seem to be a mix of the two. Thank you very much for your help. It is nice to know what it is. I hope i can figure out how to hang it now :)

I use two things for sword hanging.

One is curtain hooks. I bend out the pin portion at about 60 or so degrees and drill a slightly smaller pilot hole. This works great on drywall.

The other is the steel picture hangers.

I use two of each for a sword. The great thing about these is they tend to 'disappear' against the background of the blade or hilt. Your sword is going to present a bit of a challenge with the basket because the blade is always going to be at an angle to the wall. If you want to hang it, I would suggest taking advantage of that angle and hanging it above eye level so that the engraving is easy to see for guests to your home.

there are several display threads on the forum as well that will have many different ideas.

Again, welcome to the forum and we hope to hear much from you

David

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: