Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bamboo Cutting with Valiant Armoury the Savoy : Broken Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Ko

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Bamboo Cutting with Valiant Armoury the Savoy : Broken Sword         Reply with quote

I went to cut Bamboo stick with my study members yesterday. It is first time for cutting something with Valiant armoury the Savoy.

It was not good for cutting bamboo. Anyway it doesn't matter. I didn't care. It could be possible. Because It was double beveled edge.

When I cut the bamboo stick 10 times(10 CUTS, Not 10 BAMBOO STICKS), BLOODY RIDICULOUS thing happened. It was broken and broken blade flew away. Even one of member could be hurt.

DO YOU REALLY THINK THIS IS POSSIBLE?? SWORD FOR 10 CUTS?????

I disassemble the hilt after back to home. And I found the HUGE GAP BETWEEN CROSS GUARD AND TANG. AND IT IS WELDED!!!!! OMG.....

IMO, Tang was heat treated when Mr. Suttles(Sonny Sutters) welded the cross guard and tang. Sonny shouldn't do that.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1mq4jHWcavaUV9CNnlkQnVKWlk <--- FULL PHOTO OF BROKEN SWORD. Google drive Link.

Attachment: 452.02 KB
Bronken sword [ Download ]

Attachment: 454.17 KB
tang1 [ Download ]

Attachment: 431.67 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 355.38 KB
Cross Guard [ Download ]

Attachment: 358.81 KB
Gap [ Download ]

Attachment: 308.99 KB
Gap2 [ Download ]
Tom King

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bamboo is between ash and hickory on the janka hardness scale. Swords are not axes, abusing a sword against immovable hard target repeatedly will either snap the blade or break the tang exactly at the junction of the crossguard.

That isn't a welded on tang, the crossguard was welded to the tang to prevent rattling. the cross section of the broken tang shows it had little to no penetration despite cosmetically heat bluing the metal. Technically that would be a bad weld, but being "bad" means it didn't change the temper of the blade. Welded on crossguards do not cause a failure point on a sword like an improper scarf weld.
Michael Ko

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
Bamboo is between ash and hickory on the janka hardness scale. Swords are not axes, abusing a sword against immovable hard target repeatedly will either snap the blade or break the tang exactly at the junction of the crossguard.

That isn't a welded on tang, the crossguard was welded to the tang to prevent rattling. the cross section of the broken tang shows it had little to no penetration despite cosmetically heat bluing the metal. Technically that would be a bad weld, but being "bad" means it didn't change the temper of the blade. Welded on crossguards do not cause a failure point on a sword like an improper scarf weld.

No. it is welded on tang. I contact sonny. he says In the past he used to weld some of guard and then heat treat the weld. and he no longer does that as he has a new technique.

and I can't agree with you about cutting bamboo. i use Albion Landgraf, Viceroy, Earl, Talhoffer and Custom Katana for cutting bamboo and there is no problem. and Cutting Bamboo is not abusing a sword. Almost everyone training Kendo in South Korea cut bamboo. and there have been no problem.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow
Just wow
That shouldn't have happened
Michael Ko

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
Wow
Just wow
That shouldn't have happened

Yes. But it happended. only-10-cuts sword.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bamboo Cutting with Valiant Armoury the Savoy : Broken Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic