Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > George Washington Battle Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas Dowling

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: George Washington Battle Sword         Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is my first post and request for help.

I am talking to Marco Danelli about having a reproduction of the George Washington Battle Sword (green hilted cuttoe/hanger).

I'm struggling to find any specifications of the sword aside from 36" overall length and 30" blade length.
If anyone has knowledge of the sword's weight, blade width, blade spine width near handle and near the tip I would be immensely grateful.

I have contacted the Smithsonian but no response so far.

Any help would greatly appreciated!

Attachment: 8.9 KB
2958.jpg

Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might reach out to Kyle Willyard at Old Dominion Forge - he made a pretty good copy of one and may have specs for the original (or ideas about it).

http://www.olddominionforge.com/swords.html
Jim S.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: George Washington Battle Sword         Reply with quote

My copy of THE AMERICAN SWORD 1775-1945, by Harold L. Peterson, includes a description of this sword. It provides the same blade and sword lengths as in your post, and also states that the blade is 1 1/16 inch wide at the hilt.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is tough to gauge the third dimension from profile or pictures of a profile.

If there were an outline for blade cross sections, it would be a general philosophy. Bade thickness in the 8mm-10mm at the guard. Reducing thickness drastically in the first few inches to the center of gravity, say 4mm-5mm. Then a linear distal to the pointy end. Many reduce to quite thin at the point in the last inches. If the Washington sword blade has a false edge to the blade, that is another section to consider. A good many swords of any type often have a cog at about a third of the overall length. The Washington sword with that length and light hilt certainly loos like it would be about that range.

The Washington sword type is not uncommon at all and these blades have a fairly stiff point, so leaving a bit more meat to the point. The fuller going to just before the point, which offsets weight that otherwise be ground off on blades with fullers ending a quarter or third back.

Honestly, if one looks at auction pictures, one can get a pretty good look at blade cross sections. The radical concave distal putting mass towards the hand is very common to a broad variety of swords ranging from very narrow small swords to larger sabres.

Cheers

GC
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Washington's sword         Reply with quote

I happen to have a very near copy of Washington's sword for sale except this is an original (not reproduction). Bought it several years ago but even then it was a little extraneous to my main area of interest. The hilt is sterling silver with a silver rain cap and the grip is green leather rather than horn. Everything tight and attractive. Scabbard is complete and there are two rings for support so a holder from Godwin would very easily be used. It is a very attractive sword. Could use some light maintenance, oiling, etc. I have it for sale if you are interested. Email me at gosborne@evlag.com if you want pics.

George

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Lee P Anderson

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I see that this post is a couple of years old, but I just joined. But here are the particulars with George Washington's Battle Sword.
Back a few years ago I had one made for myself by a fella that worked at Mount Vernon and it is almost an exact replica of Washington's which is on display at their museum at Mount Vernon. Hope it helps.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
Hanger-type sword of forged steel with grooved blade. Grip of green-dyed ivory with silver strip decoration. Leather scabbard with silver trim.

green (hilt color)
ivory (hilt material)
leather (scabbard material)
silver (blade material)
silver (mountings? material)
bone (overall material)

SWORD MEASUREMENTS
overall: 3 1/2 in x 36 1/4 in x 1 1/4 in; 8.89 cm x 92.075 cm x 3.175 cm

Lee Patrick Anderson

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > George Washington Battle Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic