Custom gambesons?
Just a quick question; Who makes the best(most historically accurate) custom gambesons for re-enactors? I read somewhere that a medieval gambeson is supposed to be around 8 layers but i am not sure,

your thoughts?
The earliest detailed construction requirements for gambesons which I'm aware of dates to 1296, Paris -- over a century after their introduction. That calls for new cloth on the inside and outside, with a stuffing of cotton and strips of rags. A decorative silk or leather covering could also be applied. The requirements for using multiple layers of fabric are for 15th century jacks, with the thinnest ones of 10 layers of fabric being worn over mail.

The pourpoint of Charles VI and the Lubeck jack use two sets of fabric shells stuffed with cotton, which are sewn together at the edges. The interpretation of the 1296 accounts is difficult, but may call for the same construction, so 4 layers of cloth (5 if a decorative cover is used), with loose cotton fiber within each shell is likely the norm. I don't know of anyone commercially producing gambesons made in this manner.
Check out Jessica Finley , she has made several reproductions of the Lübeck garment as well as one of the pourpoint of Charles IV. She examined the Lübeck garment several years ago and has exact measurements. I'd ask her.
Medieval Market from Poland has some very high quality gambesons. Here is the link: http://www.medieval-market.com/details.php?id_towar=59&s=1

And here are the padding options:
http://www.medieval-market.com/podglad.php?z=...ted_en.jpg
Thanks guys, much appreciated ;)
Gambesons
I purchased one from Steel Mastery and am very pleased with it

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: