Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Chapel de Fer/Kettle hat with cheek pieces? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Chapel de Fer/Kettle hat with cheek pieces?         Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a Chapel de Fer helmet. I've seen a bunch of Chapel de Fer helmets with cheek pieces vaguely similar to ones on Roman legionary helmets. These are apparently seen quite frequently in scandinavian art from the 13th to the 15th century where the Chapel de Fer was very popular. However, has anybody actually seen a surviving period piece with cheek pieces like this?

Example:

I've seen mildly similar surviving Chapel de Fer helmets from Scandinavia that look similar to this one like for example the below example which was found at Hove in Vestfold, Norway in 1898:

http://mis.historiska.se/mis/sok/fid.asp?fid=119391&g=1

...and this example which is is often mentioned in conjunction with Visby but I think it may be the same piece as the one above? ...since as far as I know no helmets were found in the Visby graves.

[/img]
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that. Deceptively simple at a brief glance, then you start examining how it was constructed, interesting stuff.
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are several surviving kettle hats from Scandinavia, but none with surviving cheek pieces, as far as I know. Those seem to be in the minority of depictions to begin with, and if the cheek plates are hinged with leather or riveted to the chin strap, they would be easily lost.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kettle hats with cheek pieces were likely popular in Poland, but in 16th or even 17th century, so not sure how relevant they are to your interest.

http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/zygul...2a3c0825b7
Håvard Kongsrud

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The two kettle hats found in Stand, Bejarn in northern Norway in the 1940ies show fastenings that has been interpreted to be for cheek guards. But no actual cheek guards remain.

The Hof [Not Hove) kettle hat in Stockholm is often mixed up with the Visby grave finds because it was depicted in Thordeman's account of the finds.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Chapel de Fer/Kettle hat with cheek pieces?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic