Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Lala Mustafa Pasha Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gio R.

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Lala Mustafa Pasha         Reply with quote

So I've been doing light research on the Ottoman-Venetian Wars of late and developed a question that may be somewhat dumb: how did Lala Mustafa Pasha die? All the information I've come across says he just "died" in 1580 - but AFAIK he wasn't particularly old.

So what happened? I'm assuming illness of some shape or form. Anybody know for certain?
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, he was born around 1500. Eighty years was quite a respectable lifespan for a man of his time.
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Gio R.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Huh, you're right, just looked it up. Funny, somehow I thought he was born around 1520. Well, thanks for clearing up my exceptionally dumb question, anyway!
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gio,

You might want to consider looking at articles about him in another language. You might even try to open the Wikipedia page on him written in Turkish, and translate it into English. The content isn't always the same.

For instance, if you try to search the English Wikipedia for "Conrad von Jungingen" (Hochmeister of the Teutonic Knights from 1393-1407 AD), you are automatically redirected to:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Master_of_the_Teutonic_Order

By contrast, if you search the German Wikipedia, you get this: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_von_Jungingen

And the Polish Wikipedia brings up this: https://pl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_V_von_Jungingen

As you can see, there is no article on Konrad in English as of the date of this forum post. If you took the time to translate both the Polish and German articles on Konrad, you will find that they sometimes include different details. For example, as of the date of this post, the Polish Wikipedia page mentions that the dying Konrad advised against electing his brother Ulrich as Hochmeister because he was a fool, whereas the German page makes no mention of it. Needless to say, if information about Konrad differs between languages, there is a good chance the same is true for Lala Mustafa Pasha, too.
Gio R.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow Craig, that's really cool, thanks for pointing that out. I'll be sure to look into it as soon as I have time.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Lala Mustafa Pasha
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic