Effectiveness of 12-16" blade striking techniques
Gents are any of the sword/blade species worldwide under 16" blade length considered worthy of ''chopping'' from a martial point of view, or at this length is it all going to be thrusting and slicing/slashing?
I'm pretty sure Bowie knives can be used to slash effectively and some of them are under 16 inches in length.
I'd say Bowie knives, Khukuri, seax, and some of the bauernwehr / hausawehr knives could be rather nasty little cleavers; but at the same time were often quite a bit longer or shorter than 16 inches. Also, while it's certainly not a dedicated chopper, some of the Greek and other early swords such as the Xiphos looked like they'd pack quite the punch, and I seem to recall them commonly being as short as 14 inches ( but don't quote me on it, I know little of that time period ).If you're looking for a type almost exclusively at under 16 inches, none are coming readily to mind. Hope that helps.
There are lots of short swords fine tuned for chopping cuts - Filipino barongs and goloks, Indian and Nepalese khora and kukri, Greek kopis and the likes. Plenty of machetes in that size, too. And the Smatchet.

Or, heck, one of my favorite camping tools! I wouldn't hesitate to weaponize it in a SHTF scenario - it'd make really short work of wrists and forearms, that's for sure...
Thanks folks, good examples, I had forgotten about kukri's also. Mikko I just found a barong, made by ''condor'' a production machete company however they have remarkably put a flat grind and distal taper on it from 3/16 to 1/16" over 14" of blade apparently.

I am no test cutter myself so not sure whether this following video is an indication of decent cutting power, but it seemed impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9zyAuUXYKY

What would be the 'signature advantages of these very short swords/blades. including the ancient sword types. Light, quick to deploy, usable in very close quarters, able to be part of every day carry?
Karl G wrote:
What would be the 'signature advantages of these very short swords/blades. including the ancient sword types. Light, quick to deploy, usable in very close quarters, able to be part of every day carry?

Apart from ancient swords specifically made for battle such as the xiphos and kopis...

You've pretty much got it in one. There have been small sword/large knife type tools/proto-weapons made for a long time pretty much everywhere, simply because they're so useful and convenient. Nearly every culture that has achieved metal-working has some version of this, or has borrowed it from another culture. Excellent all-around tool for everyday purposes, and then when the next town over gets to feeling hairy, you put a new edge on it just in case. And since it's a tool, you can take it pretty much anywhere without people much caring about it, unlike something that's more obviously a weapon in its own right.
Karl G wrote:

Yes. These swords often have no guard. That makes them easier to deploy, and easier to carry/wear every day. Can help in close-quarter use, too.
Re: Effectiveness of 12-16" blade striking techniques
Karl G wrote:
Gents are any of the sword/blade species worldwide under 16" blade length considered worthy of ''chopping'' from a martial point of view, or at this length is it all going to be thrusting and slicing/slashing?

Slicing/slashing is often more effective from a martial point of view. It's much easier to slice through clothing than to chop through clothing. But you can chop with a short blade. I've felled trees with a golok with a blade under 7" (didn't have space to use a longer blade).
Thanks gents for the input. I might invest in one, maybe one of the jungle choppers mentioned for something different.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: