Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Thomas Del Mar, London 29 June 2016 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Tom Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Thomas Del Mar, London 29 June 2016         Reply with quote

Is anyone here going to check out the sale? Anyone got their eye on anything?

TW

Collector of original 16th-17th century European arms and armour. Would like to collect earlier, but budget doesn't allow- yet!
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Thomas Del Mar, London 29 June 2016         Reply with quote

Tom Wolfe wrote:

TW
http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as290616/index.html
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

certainly am, some very nice stuff there, viewing next wek, then sitting at home and bidding online, it does get packed in there...
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know how it is in the Antique Arms Auction community, but in the livestock business, sometimes us ranchers and farmers will do a bit of colluding to make sure we aren't bidding on the same lot as our neighbor. Keeps good relations. Of course, a particularly nice bull or lot of steers might just go ahead and force a bidding war. Beer after the sale helps keep things smooth, as well as tight fence....

Wish I could go!
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might just go too - never been so far and I'm in London. Been contemplating buying genuine antiques for a while too, and when you see the entry prices, you can easily get carried away Happy
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Re the beer, there is a good pub opposite that gives discounts on food if you say you are at the auction. :-)

I've often considered talking to other collectors about things i might, or indeed might not, want but never taken that plunge. The bidding war thing is the main worry, I might say I'll bid up to X on lot Y, then change my mind once the blood is up. Then you end up either spending far more, or causing a mate to do the same.

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sale looks like a v good chance to get a reasonably priced german 16th/17th cent helmet btw, a good few in there.
Eric S

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Been contemplating buying genuine antiques for a while too, and when you see the entry prices, you can easily get carried away Happy
Dont let their initial price fool you, anything nice will usually get bid up quite a bit, then there is the auction house %, and shipping etc. It can end up being quite expensive but occasionally, especially with lesser known auctuion houses some good deals do slip by.
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep, very often the end prices are easily double the estimates. However some dont even get there, its a weird world once the bidding starts.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Auctions can be fun, but I try not to get a number unless I am going to get it. Whatever it is. That can be a little nerve-wracking! More fun just to go to the spectacle, and maybe go private treaty for the items. Well, good luck bidders, if you get anything, please share with us!
Eric S

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Griffin wrote:
Yep, very often the end prices are easily double the estimates. However some dont even get there, its a weird world once the bidding starts.
Bad images, unrealistically high starting prices and bad descriptions have something to do items not being sold for what they are worth or not being sold at all, you have to ask for additional images when necessary.
Tom Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Griffin wrote:
certainly am, some very nice stuff there, viewing next wek, then sitting at home and bidding online, it does get packed in there...

How effective js the online bidding system? Will you live-bid or just leave a commission bid?

I have my eye on a black and white morion. Need to view them next week. Also interested in the other German Spanish-style morions if a bid for a black and white is unsuccessful.

Collector of original 16th-17th century European arms and armour. Would like to collect earlier, but budget doesn't allow- yet!
Thomas Del Mar

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Thomas Del Mar, London 29 June 2016         Reply with quote

Tom Wolfe wrote:

TW

Happy to answer any questions you might have and supply further information and images if needed. Hope to meet you at the exhibition which opens this Sunday at 25 Blythe Road, W14 0PD
Eric S

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Wolfe wrote:
Mark Griffin wrote:

How effective js the online bidding system? Will you live-bid or just leave a commission bid?

In order to bid online you will need to register, dont wait to long as it may take some time, credit card, id with proof of address is usually required.
Tom Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Thomas Del Mar, London 29 June 2016         Reply with quote

Thomas Del Mar wrote:
Tom Wolfe wrote:

TW

Happy to answer any questions you might have and supply further information and images if needed. Hope to meet you at the exhibition which opens this Sunday at 25 Blythe Road, W14 0PD

Last edited by Tom Wolfe on Thu 30 Jun, 2016 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This looks like a good candidate for a future project for our good friend and fine artisan, Tod:

http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as290616/lot0363.html

Only wish I could afford to commission it! Laughing Out Loud
Tom Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So did anyone here manage to bag anything yesterday?

I was fortunate in nailing a black-and-white morion, which was my goal for the day, and also a black-and-white burgonet, which seemed to be going for a song and therefore worth a punt. I therefore put myself out of the running for a breastplate to match, but there's always next time...

Eric S

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Wolfe wrote:

I was fortunate in nailing a black-and-white morion, which was my goal for the day, and also a black-and-white burgonet, which seemed to be going for a song and therefore worth a punt. I therefore put myself out of the running for a breastplate to match, but there's always next time...
How about some pictures when your armor arrives, or links to the auction images? I was registered, there was an Ottoman military kilij I was interested in but I found another auction with a better one so nothing for me.
Tom Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric S wrote:
Tom Wolfe wrote:

How about some pictures when your armor arrives, or links to the auction images? I was registered, there was an Ottoman military kilij I was interested in but I found another auction with a better one so nothing for me.

I've got the items at home- I was in the saleroom all day. I'll aim to get some photos uploaded this evening...

Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

will the sold prices be added ?
this one nearly had me going through the mill to bid,
http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as290616/lot0083.html

but alas timing is terrible,
did anyone see the raven sword go through, although not an antique, it looks a fine sword,

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Thomas Del Mar, London 29 June 2016
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: