Go to page 1, 2  Next

Thomas Del Mar, London 29 June 2016
Is anyone here going to check out the sale? Anyone got their eye on anything?

TW
Re: Thomas Del Mar, London 29 June 2016
Tom Wolfe wrote:

TW
http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as290616/index.html
certainly am, some very nice stuff there, viewing next wek, then sitting at home and bidding online, it does get packed in there...
I don't know how it is in the Antique Arms Auction community, but in the livestock business, sometimes us ranchers and farmers will do a bit of colluding to make sure we aren't bidding on the same lot as our neighbor. Keeps good relations. Of course, a particularly nice bull or lot of steers might just go ahead and force a bidding war. Beer after the sale helps keep things smooth, as well as tight fence....

Wish I could go!
I might just go too - never been so far and I'm in London. Been contemplating buying genuine antiques for a while too, and when you see the entry prices, you can easily get carried away :)
Re the beer, there is a good pub opposite that gives discounts on food if you say you are at the auction. :-)

I've often considered talking to other collectors about things i might, or indeed might not, want but never taken that plunge. The bidding war thing is the main worry, I might say I'll bid up to X on lot Y, then change my mind once the blood is up. Then you end up either spending far more, or causing a mate to do the same.
This sale looks like a v good chance to get a reasonably priced german 16th/17th cent helmet btw, a good few in there.
Julien M wrote:
Been contemplating buying genuine antiques for a while too, and when you see the entry prices, you can easily get carried away :)
Dont let their initial price fool you, anything nice will usually get bid up quite a bit, then there is the auction house %, and shipping etc. It can end up being quite expensive but occasionally, especially with lesser known auctuion houses some good deals do slip by.
Yep, very often the end prices are easily double the estimates. However some dont even get there, its a weird world once the bidding starts.
Auctions can be fun, but I try not to get a number unless I am going to get it. Whatever it is. That can be a little nerve-wracking! More fun just to go to the spectacle, and maybe go private treaty for the items. Well, good luck bidders, if you get anything, please share with us!
Mark Griffin wrote:
Yep, very often the end prices are easily double the estimates. However some dont even get there, its a weird world once the bidding starts.
Bad images, unrealistically high starting prices and bad descriptions have something to do items not being sold for what they are worth or not being sold at all, you have to ask for additional images when necessary.
Mark Griffin wrote:
certainly am, some very nice stuff there, viewing next wek, then sitting at home and bidding online, it does get packed in there...

How effective js the online bidding system? Will you live-bid or just leave a commission bid?

I have my eye on a black and white morion. Need to view them next week. Also interested in the other German Spanish-style morions if a bid for a black and white is unsuccessful.
Tom Wolfe wrote:

TW

Happy to answer any questions you might have and supply further information and images if needed. Hope to meet you at the exhibition which opens this Sunday at 25 Blythe Road, W14 0PD
Tom Wolfe wrote:
Mark Griffin wrote:

How effective js the online bidding system? Will you live-bid or just leave a commission bid?

In order to bid online you will need to register, dont wait to long as it may take some time, credit card, id with proof of address is usually required.
Thomas Del Mar wrote:
Tom Wolfe wrote:

TW

Happy to answer any questions you might have and supply further information and images if needed. Hope to meet you at the exhibition which opens this Sunday at 25 Blythe Road, W14 0PD

Last edited by Tom Wolfe on Thu 30 Jun, 2016 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
This looks like a good candidate for a future project for our good friend and fine artisan, Tod:

http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as290616/lot0363.html

Only wish I could afford to commission it! :lol:
So did anyone here manage to bag anything yesterday?

I was fortunate in nailing a black-and-white morion, which was my goal for the day, and also a black-and-white burgonet, which seemed to be going for a song and therefore worth a punt. I therefore put myself out of the running for a breastplate to match, but there's always next time...
Tom Wolfe wrote:

I was fortunate in nailing a black-and-white morion, which was my goal for the day, and also a black-and-white burgonet, which seemed to be going for a song and therefore worth a punt. I therefore put myself out of the running for a breastplate to match, but there's always next time...
How about some pictures when your armor arrives, or links to the auction images? I was registered, there was an Ottoman military kilij I was interested in but I found another auction with a better one so nothing for me.
Eric S wrote:
Tom Wolfe wrote:

How about some pictures when your armor arrives, or links to the auction images? I was registered, there was an Ottoman military kilij I was interested in but I found another auction with a better one so nothing for me.

I've got the items at home- I was in the saleroom all day. I'll aim to get some photos uploaded this evening...
will the sold prices be added ?
this one nearly had me going through the mill to bid,
http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as290616/lot0083.html

but alas timing is terrible,
did anyone see the raven sword go through, although not an antique, it looks a fine sword,
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: