Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Mail in the last picture is definitely wedge riveted. I would never think 18th century Ottomans made wedge riveted mail. :eek:
I know this is slightly off topic, as this post is about pin riveted maille, but what are your opinions about the quality of this maille made by Andrew Galevskiy's armoury in Ukraine?

Here is the link: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewto...p;t=179397
Luka Borscak wrote:
Mail in the last picture is definitely wedge riveted. I would never think 18th century Ottomans made wedge riveted mail. :eek:
That is because no one was posting good images of Ottoman mail and no one was really looking. The Circassians were a unique culture, their close proximity to Russia and their spread throughout the Middle east over hundreds of years could explain their use of wedge riveted mail in some of their armor. Here is another example, described as...
Quote:
Ottoman kolluk/bazu band (vambrace/arm guards), 17th century, Hessen Kassel Museum.
...when I cropped the original image so I could get a good look at the mail I was surprised, it looks like it has watershed.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Eric S on Mon 20 Jun, 2016 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joshua Waters wrote:
I know this is slightly off topic, as this post is about pin riveted maille, but what are your opinions about the quality of this maille made by Andrew Galevskiy's armoury in Ukraine?

Here is the link: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewto...p;t=179397

It looks fairly sturdy, I like its shape better than the Indian mail I have been seeing lately. Not historically accurate as it is round riveted without solid links but otherwise not bad.

[ Linked Image ]
I have also looked around surviving examples of mail that have their rivets worn out and it is starting to feel like that ordering a full suit of welded mail from Mr. Osterstrom would actually be the best solution for me.

It is not historical, but at least it somewhat looks like historical (very)worn out mail.
Mario M. wrote:
I have also looked around surviving examples of mail that have their rivets worn out and it is starting to feel like that ordering a full suit of welded mail from Mr. Osterstrom would actually be the best solution for me.

It is not historical, but at least it somewhat looks like historical (very)worn out mail.

[ Linked Image ]
Well, he also offers rounded wire, but I do not see any images of it.

Perhaps it looks better.

An interesting polish maker: https://www.facebook.com/loricator/
Last mail I bought and posted pictures of here proved to be vulnerable to arrows although it looked good. Even 40 pound bows were able to push out rivets. So my search for a good mail continues...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Page 5 of 5

Jump to: