Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Solingen Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Justin Fores

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: The Solingen         Reply with quote

Has anyone done a good review of the Solingen yet? I've been eyeing the Solingen since it first went up on Albions site but I've never seen a review, or pictures by owners.

Anyone on here have one?

Thank you

Justin

"The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions ... but by iron and blood." - Count Otto von Bismarck
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've handled the prototype Solingen and found it to be a very fine sword. We do have a person who has volunteered to write a review in the future, possibly, maybe...........as those things go. If that doesn't happen I'll probably write one up at some point.

I didn't find the sword lacking in the handling or fit & finish department. It's a nice example of a high-medieval knightly sword. For whatever reason it doesn't appeal to me personally. It should since it's a general type that I usually like, but it doesn't. Such are the vagaries of personal taste. Never the less it's a fine sword and one that I highly recommend.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I handled Peter's prototype at the Atlanta show last year. It's a really fine sword.

I found it interesting to compare it to the Sovereign, since both are basically the same Oakeshott type (XIV). Okay , the Solingen rides the line between XII and XIV.... I give it the benefit of the doubt, since I like XIV's.

The Solingen is a finesse sword and is very agile. The Sovereign is more of a brute. Both would be highly effective weapons.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've handled a prototype, and it felt like a really good sword. I cannot be more specific than that, but suffice to say, if Peter had offered me the prototype (with minor cosmetic issues and all), I would gladly accepted it.
My sword site
David Kite

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lovely sword. I highly recommend it.

It's a little "heavier" than I had expected it to be (in terms of "dynamic balance") but bear in mind I am far from proficient with single-handed weapons and currently lack the strength. But I will soon, believe me. Wink Right now I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can get some test cutting done!

The really odd part about this sword, and all swords from Albion for that matter, is that I don't understand how something that is supposedly hand-made could have such crisp perfect lines and be so well constructed! Wink (jk)

There is one other peculiar thing about this sword, and I hope Peter can comment on this. When I perform the "waggle test" to find the point of rotation I find it to be farther back on the blade than I had expected, at right around the termination of the fuller. After reading ARMA's George Turner's "Sword Motions and Impacts" several times I am led to believe that cutting swords should rotate around their points.

Some points to bear in mind: George said his conclusions are TENTATIVE; the waggle test is reasonably inaccurate; not all cutting swords may have the rotation point at the tip; I could be performing the test incorrectly; I may have interpreted the essay incorrectly. The latter two are probably the most likely, however for the rest of my swords (Lutel longsword, A&A Durer Bastard) the rotation point is about at the tip of the blade. Though again bear in mind those are both longswords, which the Solingen is not.

Otherwise it is a fantastic blade. Very fast and responsive once you get the hang of it. I expect it to be the pinnacle of my collection for quite a while.

David Kite
ARMA in IN
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Kite wrote:
Lovely sword. I highly recommend it.

There is one other peculiar thing about this sword, and I hope Peter can comment on this. When I perform the "waggle test" to find the point of rotation I find it to be farther back on the blade than I had expected, at right around the termination of the fuller. After reading ARMA's George Turner's "Sword Motions and Impacts" several times I am led to believe that cutting swords should rotate around their points.

Some points to bear in mind: George said his conclusions are TENTATIVE; the waggle test is reasonably inaccurate; not all cutting swords may have the rotation point at the tip; I could be performing the test incorrectly; I may have interpreted the essay incorrectly. The latter two are probably the most likely, however for the rest of my swords (Lutel longsword, A&A Durer Bastard) the rotation point is about at the tip of the blade. Though again bear in mind those are both longswords, which the Solingen is not.

Otherwise it is a fantastic blade. Very fast and responsive once you get the hang of it. I expect it to be the pinnacle of my collection for quite a while.

David Kite
ARMA in IN

Read this thread about Peter's take on pivot points.

Alexi
David Kite

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah! Thanks, Alexi.

David Kite
ARMA in IN

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Solingen
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic