Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic Lieb Hussar kit, Michael! You even have a sabretache. Do you plan on getting a shako? Amazing!
Michael John Morris

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks so much Happy
I'm glad it's on topic with the thread.

@Dean: yep, I just need some more leather for the shako for the top and the peak, then I'll make on similar to this... A bell top. Though working out how to make a proper tritcher to hold up the feathers will be very tricky, might have to get that made.
I think the whole thing will work way better with a shako instead of the busby.

Attachment: 82.11 KB
tumblr_nwhp527CIJ1qcp6xao1_500.jpg

Mario M.

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

-Have you looked at our caps recently?

Our caps?

-The badges on our caps, have you looked at them?

What? No. A bit.

-They've got skulls on them. Have you noticed that our caps actually have little skulls on them?

Uh, I don't...

-Hans... are we the baddies?

“The stream of Time, irresistible, ever moving, carries off and bears away all things that come to birth and plunges them into utter darkness...Nevertheless, the science of History is a great bulwark against this stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of Oblivion." - Anna Comnena
Michael John Morris

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEle_DLDg9Y

Laughing Out Loud Thank goodness it doesn't have a big goofy jaw like the Nazi one! Laughing Out Loud

The skull symbols turned me off initially, but then I learned it was about remembering your own mortality, rather than a threat and it seemed a lot more poignant. - loyalty unto death and all that.
Literally true with the French version of these hussars who had to be disbanded shortly after their first engagements because there were none left alive. Happy
Tim Harris
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have no clue as to any inaccuracies, but that hussar kit looks brilliant, Michael. Do you get much opportunity to take it out?
https://www.facebook.com/TimHarrisSwords
Michael John Morris

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Tim! Happy

Unfortunately I don't have many occasions to take it out. There're no Napoleonic reenactors here that I know of (Perth, Western Australia), so I'm limited to the occasional costume themed thing (I can always wear the jackets out no matter the event). Though I did wear most of the kit at San Diego Comic Con a couple of years ago.
Theo Squires

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael John Morris wrote:
Thanks Tim! Happy

Unfortunately I don't have many occasions to take it out. There're no Napoleonic reenactors here that I know of (Perth, Western Australia), so I'm limited to the occasional costume themed thing (I can always wear the jackets out no matter the event). Though I did wear most of the kit at San Diego Comic Con a couple of years ago.

I like your kit. As you probably know, the jacket would great for a Jimi Hendrix costume.
Tom King

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some photos from the Florida Rennassance Festival of my current Harness. I finally barred up my Sallet after buying a pretty one with a bevor for display. Overall it works well, but I intend to take a page from the sallet of maximillian I and historically ahistirically put ventlation/ocular holes in the sallet and bevor http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/23213. With the bevor in place you really can't see a damn thing below your plane of sight. It makes it hard to know when you've knocked your opponent to the ground!

Elric Rabenfels

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Curious... that's the exact Lorenz Helmschmid helmet model Roman Tereschenko is making for me right now (with slight alterations.

Your whole kit looks a bit rough, but I think I know exactly why you got the pieces you did:
They probably weren't -that- expensive, but they protect you well in sparring and you don't have to worry about your prettey shinies to get wrecked. Amirite?

But deary me, those bars on your visor... they're really, really uncanny.
There are more cosmetic solutions to making your helmet stab-proof. ;P
But better have those than none!

- What can change the nature of a man?
Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool images, Tom. Looks like the guy behind you (in the third photo) has those breather/vision holes in his sallet and bevor, like you mentioned.
Michael John Morris

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like that the armour has a "fighting" look about it. It's not a parade suit, that's what you'd wear in a war.
J. Kemp

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My handmade and mostly unhistorical armour set/s.
Still a work in progress, so I have lots of projects on the go.
Fun fact, today marks the end of my first year of metalworking!

Attachment: 268.05 KB
(The image is in the attachment) [ Download ]

Last edited by J. Kemp on Mon 11 Apr, 2016 12:33 am; edited 2 times in total
C. Tomic

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So guys, I have a challenge for you experts, I am new to this whole medieval thing and want to put together a 1470-1500 kit, basically this kit is exactly what I'm looking for, where would I go about starting to assemble it, an recommendations?

From the Bosworth Field museum

James A D

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. Tomic wrote:
So guys, I have a challenge for you experts, I am new to this whole medieval thing and want to put together a 1470-1500 kit, basically this kit is exactly what I'm looking for, where would I go about starting to assemble it, an recommendations?

Not quite an answer to your question but, if you haven't already, you must borrow or buy a copy of The Medieval Soldier - 15th Century Campaign Life Recreated in Colour Photographs (Windrow & Greene, 1994) by Gerry Embleton and John Howe (UK Amazon has used copies starting at £10). It has lots of photos and information about the period you wish to recreate, based on a very knowledgeable Swiss reenactment group*. It may help you make better informed decisions when assembling your kit.

* The Company of Saynt George <http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/?q=en/The_Company>
Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. Tomic:

I'm also quite new to collecting arms and armor, but I think the major item for the kit you're wanting would be the brigandine. A well-fitting one looks superb. I recently kitted up with the same period in mind. I used my existing leg harness minus the greaves. You should be able to find similar pieces fairly easily. The bevor and sallet are from GDFB - however, there are many others on the market or custom-made. The breastplate is from KultofAthena - which also carries a variety of sallets (someone more knowledgeable on this forum would be better to ask as to quality and authenticity). A butted mail haubergeon is worn over an arming jacket which the leg harness is pointed to. I just haven't committed to buying more expensive riveted mail. Mitten gauntlets are worn, but you could just as well have leather gauntlets or none at all. The head of the pole axe is also from GDFB with a shaft fashioned from a fence post I picked up at the local Home Depot. It's a display piece more than anything. Blush

Attachment: 101.41 KB
20160402_101602-1_resized_1.jpg

C. Tomic

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the help so far guys, given me a good idea of where to get started, who produces a good brigandine, and where can i get some good references for it?
J. Kemp

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Possibly the best thing to do is to find a seller of one that you like, with good reviews, and then ask on a new thread whether people have any experience with the product and whether it is any good.
Asking on here for suggestions could just leave you with hundreds of sellers, through which you would have to trawl to find the right one, although that might be what you want.
Alternatively, you could make one.. Search google for the Armour Archive, and browse its pattern index.. I know that that has at least one template for brigandine, and there is quite possibly one for the period you are looking at. Brigandines are also relatively cheap and simple to make, and can be done with scrap metal quite easily.

On another note, I don't know how people feel about this, I am fine for this to remain on this thread, but it might be a good idea to make a new thread dedicated to your topic, and keep this thread on subject of showing pictures of one's armour kit.
That's probably just me being paranoid though Big Grin
Henrik Granlid

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. Tomic, you really should build it from the inside out, before jumping into all the hard parts.

Here's one of the better guides out there for buying a kit and learning to source things:
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,3207.0.html
Henrik Granlid

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And I can FINALLY partake with a kit of my own! I'm so happy with it thus far and it will keep on growing.

The breastplate is perhaps a bit shallow, but I blame that mostly on me not having a proper waistline, making it hard to dish the breastplate whilst also getting a proper fit.

Next up is probably a fauld and a 3-piece solid backplate rather than the wings.

Tjarand Matre

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Me (on the right) and Stian guarding the market at Akershus fortress last weekend. My plate parts by Via Armorari and my brigandine by ASH.
Photo by http://www.tomaszmajewski.no/

Attachment: 155.38 KB
kniggit.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 93 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: