best "off of the shelf" viking sword
i would like to have your opinion about who makes the best "off of the shelf" viking sword in the market (Albion doesen't count, as it is well outside mi price range)

i'm not looking for a particular hilt tipology or a style that fit a particular timeframe, just for a reasonably good looking, good Handling sword, better if available from a european vendor, as i'm not willing to buy anymore from the U.S market due to the crazy customs fee in my own country.

on the top of my list there are the windlass 5 lobed and the hanwei tinker, but i'm eager to receive further imput and comments, i have just seen, for examples, some nice swords from the vendor wulfhund...

thanks for your help
Arma Bohemia makes a couple of Viking Swords - http://www.armabohemia.cz/Novestr/swordsA.htm -

I can't speak as to their quality - here is a thread that talks about Arma Bohemia - http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=259...ma+bohemia
I haven't handled a Hanwei Cawood but if viking swords were on my list, it would certainly vie for attention. I have played with a Tinker/Hanwei viking and endorse it enthusiastically. So much is going to be subjective though and I wuld buy the Cawood before anything else at that price point.

Cheers

GC
You can't get much better than the Hanwei Tinker for the price, in my opinion. I highly recommend it. I also have the Windlass 5-lobe and it's a very nice sword as well, but since it's discontinued I imagine it would be harder to come by.... some of the other Windlass Viking swords (the Sticklestad and Leutrit, mainly) have pretty good reputations....

You also may want to take a look at Del Tin, but be careful as most of their Viking swords are grossly overweight. The 2104 and 2105 are actually quite reasonable and are the only models I'd recommend. I've got both swords and I'm still rather fond of them.
thank you for your imputs guys,

Roger- the swords offered by Arma Bohema are very nice, i suspect that they are made by Pavel Moc, that i have heard is agood maker, his website is not updated by a very long time, but i think that they are a good value for the money

Glen- the hanwei cawood hs caught my attention too, it is one of my favourite design and i have read good comments about it unfortunately at the moment i have not been able to find an european based vendor that keeps it in stock, the same for the Hanwei-Tinker...

David- i have just noticed that the 5 lober is out of stock in the UK vendor website that use to keep it, if it is truly discontinued i believe that it will be very hard to get one, they still have the Sticklestad and Leutrit but i'm not very fond of them. I'm italian, so your suggestion for Del Tin is interesting, i like the 2104 and i ave found a couple of good rewievs
i was concerned about the weight, but looks like if it is a nice Handling sword.

i'm waiting also from an answer from Vladimir cervenka, but i fear that his swords are outside y budget, probably they are priced simialarly to albion
Gabriele, I can alleviate that concern. According to the price list he gave me two years ago (which I am not going to fully disclose), Vladimir's swords are considerably more affordable than Albions. They're not "off the shelf", though, so you'll likely have to wait a few months.

They do have a very charming roughness to their finish, not as perfectionistic as mass-produced, cast hilts or CNC milled swords.

Some day I'll get myself a Viking era sword made by him, currently only have a renaissance sidesword.
You can get an Albion Squire Line at Viking-Shield.com, fits in around your price and you still get an Albion. I love my Albion Thegn.
Concerning Wulflund, I have handled some of their blunts and been impressed with their quality, especially for the price that is being charged. However, this doesn't help you in judging their sharp blades. From looking at specs at KOA, there doesn't seem to be much distal taper in the blade geometry.
Johannes- if i can ask, could you give me an idea about Mr.Cervenka prices?

had Albion Europe still alive i would have not hesitate to get the Squire Line viking Christopher, but unfortunately the import fees in Italy are crazily expensive, and plus i cannot import a sharp blade...

from what concern the Arma Bohemia vikings Roger, i can definetively confirm that they are made by Pavel Moc

http://www.swords.cz/pictures/swords/newvikings1-6.jpg

the hilts are very nice but the blades are a little strange, they looks like some kind of practice sword, and strongly remind me the Hanwei practical viking
may be that can be of some interest, i have just got an answer from Mr.Cervenka, his prices are really very good and much lower than i was expecting,

unfortunately the waiting list is currently August 2017....
Hanwei Cawood isn't really a viking sword, it's late 11th, early 12th century sword... I would definitely recommend Hanwei Tinker Viking...
http://www.celticwebmerchant.com/nl/tinker-pe...waard.html

Is european and has the Tinker viking sword. I just have the bastard sword, but the quality seems quite good of this line. Serious sharpening is in order though, if you want it really sharp.
wow, the hanwei tinker is very expensive for a mass produced sword, i can get a Cervenka or Del Tin for such a price,

do you think that it is Worth 400 Euros?
Gabriele Becattini wrote:
wow, the hanwei tinker is very expensive for a mass produced sword, i can get a Cervenka or Del Tin for such a price,

do you think that it is Worth 400 Euros?

It is rather pricy, I recall having paid a less for my bastard sword with fuller. A Del Tin blade (or the last I felt) is very heavy and percussion noders are off. I have not handled Cervenka, but the first few things I read are not very fond of his cutting blades, as distal taper is quite a big thing.

You could just buy a replacement blade, and use it for a project blade.
your suggestion to uy just the blade is rather intertesting Bram....139 euros for the sharp version, and i have already a maker n itly that could make the fittings for me, probably that's a good soution

i have had some isses in the past with hanwei blades, i have the hutton sabre and the the blade broke at the tip after a few bouts withmy sparring partners,

hopefully the tinker line is more carefully designed
if i remember correctly Luka has a wonderful custom viking made out with a tinker blade, or i'm wrong?
You are right, but I sold it to a guy in USA a few years ago...
The Hanwei Tinker replacement blades are absolutely worth the money. Either a Viking or a Norman blade would be quite excellent, especially with custom fittings and a properly sized grip. The stock grip on a Viking is a bit too long as is.

Also, 400 Euro seems a bit high, but if it's the only thing available in your area (I understand there are legal issues with sharp blades in many parts of Europe) then I would definitely go with getting a bare blade fit out to your taste. It'll cost about the same but you'll get a slightly better sword out of it.
Bram Verbeek wrote:

I have not handled Cervenka, but the first few things I read are not very fond of his cutting blades, as distal taper is quite a big thing.

Well, according to these reviews ( http://myArmoury.com/review_cerv_vik.html http://myArmoury.com/review_cerv_vikse.html ) distal taper seems to be fine on Vladimir Cervenka's viking swords. I'd honestly be surprised otherwise, as the custom Rapier/Sidesword I had made by him features very pronounced distal and profile taper ( http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=32294&highlight= ).

That said, I wouldn't consider them "off the shelf", so if you'd rather not wait a Tinker is probably the way to go.
i have just bought the blade, it has costed me 160 euros shipped so i believe that if the quality will match your comments, it will be a very good acquisition.

waiting time was a big issue for me, do you know that when someone badly need to scratch a hitch,... so having the HT blade hilted locally is a brilliant idea,

now i have to decide what style..

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: