Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The New World Trailer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: The New World Trailer         Reply with quote

Here's one for Bill G., Gordon F. and all others hoping this is going to be a decent picture:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/the_new_world/

I sure wish they'd given John Smith a falchion, but at least he grabs a lochaber-ish axe at one point. Interesting to see him in half-plate with a close helmet and wheellock pistol, too. They also show him spearing a ray with his rapier, which Smith actually reported doing.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did see a trailer for this in the theatre. It looks interesting.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean,

Thanx for posting this link. Been waiting to see this! Maybe this will spur more 17thc. repro's to come out..... Wink

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
Maybe this will spur more 17thc. repro's to come out

That's what I'm hoping, especially since MRL tends to jump on the movie bandwagon pretty quickly. Unfortunately, I don't see much in the trailer that'd be worth replicating. That's the main reason I wanted them to give JS a falchion--it'd be fairly easy to get right at relatively low cost. Instead, MRL probably will just lump together on two catalog pages all their existing rapiers and ren-wear and call it a day. And then sit back and count the money, of course. Now, if Windlass decides to branch out into replica firearms, there might be some interesting wheellocks, matchlocks and such. I don't really forsee that happening, though.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I see that MRL has jumped onto the "Kingdom of Heaven" wagon, let's hope they do the same with this film.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
Well I see that MRL has jumped onto the "Kingdom of Heaven" wagon, let's hope they do the same with this film.

Hmmmm...judging from the teaser at their site it looks like Windlass has licensed the name and may be offering some new pieces. Maybe that's a good sign for The New World, too. If they get a license for that we may see some interesting new stuff ca. 1600 after all. Thanks for the tip!

By the way, I also noticed that their Sword of the First Crusade is on clearance for $150.

-Sean

William Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean,

Let's hope for the best. We 17th century buffs seem to be the red-headed step children of the sword collecting world.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link Sean. I have to admit that I watch such things with a jaudiced eye, though... we'll see what happens. I suspect I'll actually force myself to go see it, but I have no illusions that it will actually show some decent history, or even cool toys (though they DID actually show a wheellock pistol in the trailer! Amazing!). The director is the same as made "Thin Red Plot", which was so confused as to defy the imagination. Beautifully filmed, I'll happily conceded, but really, really hard to follow. It did, however, have one of the best combat scenes I've ever seen on film, so perhaps New World will rise above the mediocrity most such films seem to revel in.

Kind of harsh I suppose, but I've been disappointed time and time again by films that by all rights SHOULD have been REALLY, REALLY cool, but sadly strayed in their mission. Heck, I've been IN some that from that angle looked as though they would be really hot, but just bombed, and for good reason. C'est la Vie!

But still, I look forward to it, maybe it will spark a more general interest in the era among our fellows!

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That reminds me...A friend of mine has been trying to get me to see Ride With the Devil, in which, it seems, you play a riding devil of some sort. Razz

Any good?

-Sean

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Ride with the Devil         Reply with quote

Sean;
I have to say that Ride with the Devil is probably just about the best film ever to actually try to deal effectively with the American Civil War, in this case through the eyes of those living through the Missouri-Kansas Border Wars. Of note is that it is one of the very few films in recent memory to actually deal sympathetically with the South, something that is definitely not PC, and probably accounts for it's poor performance at the Box Office. The Studio just didn't know how to market it, and I think they were somewhat afraid of it as well. Never the less, it's a fine film that actually tries to address the issues of slavery and race, of immigrant vs. native born, and of course North vs. South. And it does so in a very mater-of-fact way, just assuming that this is the way things are, and now we deal with the human issues that arise from it. I took a Chinese Director (Ang Lee) to make a film like this about the American Civil War, and I think he did a great job in so doing.

Of course, it has a LOT of cavalry action in it, so what more can you ask for? Needless to say, I recommend it highly. And yes, I was both a Devil in Blue and a Devil in Grey, as it were, and had a great time doing it.

Anyway, I do recommend it highly, it is a very, very well made film.

Gordon

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good to know! That's high praise. I'm having trouble finding a copy, but I'll track it down somewhere here in B'ham.
-Sean

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gee, looking back at my two posts, I sound kind of bi-polar, don't I? Well, I guess I know what I like, and what I don't like, LOL! I've been so disappointed in so many films over the years though that when one comes out that is actually GOOD, and has good history in it to boot, I tend to wax eloquent in it's praises.

I guess one of my disappointments was "the Patriot" with Mel Gibson. It does have a lot of good action in it, and it had great potential, but for whatever reason the director (Roland Emmerich) decided to break with history on a lot of details, as it were. I can fully understand that they wanted to bring together three historical characters (Francis Marion, Daniel Morgan and Charles Sumpter) into the single "Benjamin Martin" character to make the story arc simpler, but why they had huge dress parade British Infantry Lines in the middle of South Carolina is a bit beyond me. And 32-pounder Cannon, when the biggest piece the British had in the interior was a 3-pounder Galloper? Oh well. Still, I REALLY enjoyed working on it, doing both Infantry training and running the Cavalry, but even there I had minor beefs (like why the heck were we in RED, when the "Green Dragoons" were in bloody GREEN???) I suspect that there was a lot of catering to the Ignorant American Viewing Public going on in all of the above... Still, Emmerich did a good job of telling a story, and that in the end is what his purpose was. But it could have been a lot better in the details, I think, even though they DID do a lot of detail-oriented work on the film. There was in fact a LOT of focus on many of the details that make the film as good as it is. But they didn't pay me to think, so there you have it, LOL!

Cheers, and good luck on RWTD! Amazon probably has it, BTW...

Gordon

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The New World Trailer
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic