Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Suit of Armour Help Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jenkin Tudor

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Suit of Armour Help         Reply with quote

Hi guys,

My interest in Arms and Armour has recently been sparked by a reproduction suit of armour I found on a property recently purchased here in the States. I assume it has been sitting there for at least a decade (which I'm well aware is nothing in historical terms). It is in some state of disrepair, covered in grime and surface rust. Some of the finger pieces are missing on one hand as well. I am trying to do my own research and the information out there is quite overwhelming so I would appreciate any knowledge or input. When was it made? What time period is it trying to emulate? Is it worth anything? Can I clean it and if so how should i go about it?

Thank you!

Please see the full 25 picture album here: http://imgur.com/a/gBjDB

Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jenkin,

This looks to be an older reproduction harness made by Marto from Spain. They currently sell a similar etched harness advertised as being based on a suit of armour owned by Carlos V (ha!). These are not very historical reproductions with many things wrong as far as construction goes, and they are not made to measure or meant to be worn. They are very pretty and work best as nice displays. They are not uncommon and have been made for decades in various forms.

https://www.medievalarmour.com/p-10493-carlos-v-suit-of-armor-by-marto.aspx

If this suit was all cleaned up it may be worth a couple of thousand dollars to someone who wants a nice display in a business or home. The retail price on these is laughable, and few people who actually understand and appreciate historical armour take these reproductions seriously. Still, they have their place in the world. It may be worth cleaning up and getting set up on a display similar to the one shown in the advertisement above.

-Gregory
Jenkin Tudor

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks         Reply with quote

Thanks Gregory, I think you're probably right. I want it to be respected for what it is...Whatever that is. If nothing else I think it will give me more interest in and respect for the real thing.
Jenkin Tudor

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Mystery Solved         Reply with quote

Mystery Solved Worried

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Suit of Armour Help
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic