Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Introduction and Bronze Age Apa-Type Daggers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam Magill

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Introduction and Bronze Age Apa-Type Daggers         Reply with quote

New Member here!! From USA.

I've always had an interest in Bronze-Age swords, especially Apa Type. Can someone tell me a little more information on this type of Bronze-Age swords?

I would love to own a good replica of an Apa type. Can someone point me in the direction of a good bronze-smith? I have heard of Neil Burridge who I talked with briefly, but I haven't heard from him for weeks on the subject.

I love the bronze daggers found in the Nebra Horde and would love to have replicas for a wall on my house.

Thanks in advance!!

Best,

Sam

->Apa-Type
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Apa Type is a name loosely used to define the earliest European swords. I don't have a publication which describes exactly what the Apa Type is, but I suspect that it's just a local variant of these early swords. In my country they're referred to as the Sögel/Wohlde types (and I keep mixing up which are Sögel and which the Wohlde swords).

As to who can make them, the list is short: Neil Burridge, and me. I don't have the time and don't work on commission basis and only produce a few swords a year, and Neil only does when he gets through his list of current orders. So my best recommendation is to check with Neil once in a while to see if he's taking new orders. There's one Norwegian caster who does. P.s. there's one Norwegian caster who's made some nice looking reproductions: http://www.bronsereplika.no/ But they are higher priced, and I've not seen any new work from him recently.

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
- Bronze age living history in the Netherlands
- Barbarian metalworking
- Museum photos
- Zip-file with information about saxes
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neil's website: http://bronze-age-swords.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Introduction and Bronze Age Apa-Type Daggers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic