Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > modify a depeeka celtic sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: modify a depeeka celtic sword         Reply with quote

i have recently bought a depeeka celtic "la tene" sword,

at the price point i have paid it i was nor expecting very much, the blade is decent enough, the hilt looks pretty easy to modify

but the real weak point is the scabbard, it is simply wrong with nothing in common with a La tene scabbard.

this afternnon i was looking at it and i was wondering if i could make it better i'm not particularly crafty but i have access to a professional Smith workshop, as the owner is a good friend of mine,

the scabbard is made out of an iron sheet about 1 mm thick, in stead of an historically correct 3 pieces construction the sheet has been folded and then soldered at one side, the chape appear to be glued in place with some kind of expoxy

i was toying with the idea to remove the chape and reshape it and even to cut in half the scabbard to make it in 2 pieces
it is feasible? or it is a project the require a very advanced skills? what do you suggest?

Attachment: 179.09 KB
[ Download ]
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: modify a depeeka celtic sword         Reply with quote

Gabriele Becattini wrote:
or it is a project the require a very advanced skills?

I think it's always a great idea to make a better scabbard.

But I would highly recommend that you leave that scabbard alone for now.

Get some similar sheet metal and try some of the things that you want to do with your new scabbard. Practice on scrap sheet metal until you are confident that you can correct your scabbard on the first try.
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got one of these intending to remove the hilt and replace the blade with an Albion Bare Blades Celtic longsword after making some minor adjustments so the new blade will fit.

I can't speak for the scabbard, but if you intend to make any modifications to the hilt that would require removing all or part of it, the hilt is much, much, harder to modify than it looks.

That brass cap in the center of the pommel, directly above the tang, is epoxied (possibly welded) in place. There is epoxy along the entire length of the tang -- pommel, grip, and guard. If you intend to make any modifications to the hilt, you will need to C-clamp the blade to a solid surface and use vise grips to get the cap off (which I learned after I'd chewed through it to the tang with a cobalt drill.) Then repeat that process to get the pommel off...then the grip...and then guard. Be prepared for something to crack. In my case, it was the grip, but it wasn't bad enough to justify discarding it.

Look up the Kelticos forum...someone there had detailed instructions on how to get these hilts off.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

they are both good advices guys, thank you for your answers

i need for sure to take of the hilt and i was already aware of the problems, looking at the kelticos forum, on my sword the pommel cap looks secured by some sort of glue, i do not think that it is welded , but i'll soon discover it!

i believe that in the end i'll leave the scabbard as it is, or i'll try only to reshape the chape, cutting the scabbard in two pieces require a level of skill that for sure i do not have and it is more than likely that in the end i'll only ruin it

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > modify a depeeka celtic sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic