Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman fighting styles? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jun, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
The problem I have with using Marozzo to draw conclusions about earlier fighting, is that the techniques illustrated do not seem well suited to the weapons of the earlier era. I think the substantial difference in weapon design would IMO indicate a difference in the way they are being used...

Some people who do Bolognese fencing seriously often use blunt 13th century swords, or blunt cinqueadas, or blunt very long, very thin, two-edged straight 17th century swords to make the point that its an art for any weapon. After all, a 16th century Italian gentlemen had to be prepared to duel with any weapons which "were commonly used by soldiers," so if he specialized in one type of sword and his opponent chose a different one he would be in trouble.

On the other hand, it is a challenge that there are lots of ways to use a set of weapons effectively, and most martial arts focus on a few of them. Two staff styles, say, can look quite different despite using the same weapon. Whether that matters depends on how geeky you are Happy
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jun, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
PS: The image is not available on Manuscript Miniatures and is very difficult to find online. It is a picture of the death of Saul, and it comes from a German manuscript if I am not mistaken.

If you've got a shelfmark or library, I might be able to find it online. I send additional images to Mike at Manuscript Miniatures almost daily already.

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jun, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry Mart, I don't remember. The problem is that the original image was one I colour scanned from a book, and saved it in a word document. Unfortunately, the image became corrupted over time, so I have lost it. I have seen it once online, but I cannot for the life of me remember the search terms I used. I am pretty sure I have posted it somewhere on myArmoury, although I cannot remember where and when.
Alexis Bataille

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB5i6w3Wrw0
perhaps this is not bad
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's a a few good techniques in there but they aren't fighting like Normans would have. Almost every attack they throw is against a target that would be well armored in the 11th c plus the kind of footwork they're using looks exciting but expends a lot of energy and works best on smooth gym floors.

Having read through the thread I'd say Craig has given some good advice. If you look at 11th c. sources you'll see them using postures with the sword and dane axe that are known from the KDF sources, chances are that's the fighting style the Normans were using or at least an early version of it that was common to many Germanic cultures.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman fighting styles?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: