Side mounted klappviser?
A quick question for re-enactment veterans: Would i be scorned from the re-enactment community if i wore a side-mounted klappviser inspired by medieval iconography? The reason for this question is that i have heard side mounted klappvisers are more durable in combat then single-hinge.

Regards.

Attachment: 288.46 KB
[ Download ]
klappvisier = folding visor

By definition, you can't have a side-pivoting one. Not all side-pivoting visors are hundsgugel (hounds mask) in form.
If the visor pivots at the sides then it is not a klappvisier. But what is the problem? Since there is overlap between the two types of visor, both being used around 1370-80, with the side-pivoting visor continuing into the 15th century, you are OK to use the latter in re-enactment of that period. Have fun.
Neil
Here an example of a visor that looks like a Klappvisor but that is actually side pivoting - from a fresco in Avio Castle on the border between Trentino and Southern Tyrol (Northern Italy).

Cheers, Timm

Attachment: 108.83 KB
avio_affreschi_visor.jpg

So, just to clarify what we've learned in this thread with a very specific question (I'm creating a graphic novel and I want to be as accurate in my depictions as possible)- a minor member of the Czech gentry in 1414 would not likely wear a hounskull bascinet with a klappvisier visor attachment, but instead the side attaching type? The klappvisier would definitely have been abandoned post 1400?

Thanks for any light your expertise can shed.
Philip Renne wrote:
The klappvisier would definitely have been abandoned post 1400?

Thanks for any light your expertise can shed.

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4076/7265/
Ah hah- thanks- Manuscript Miniatures to the rescue once again!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: