the khanda anbd tulwar, weight and handling help?
ok, simple question tat seems impossible to answer is, regarding the weights of the indian khanda, and it;s curved cousin the tulwar, both are very clearly cur oriented especially the khanda with its flared tip and almost nonexistant thrusting capability... but it seems noone lists the appropriate vitalstatistics on them, antiques sales websites note the blade length but thats about it.. some not even that, the only khanda ive seen in use was the seemingly monstrous one used in the rajput episode of deadliest warrior but i get the feeling khanda wernt that slow...

still, if anyone had some inhsight into their average weight and perhaps how they handle comp[ared to, say a highland baskethilt claymore or the 1796 light cavakry sword, or just other sword in general... it would be appreciated
FWIW, here's a bit on khanda use from Sanatan Shastarvidiya.
I think the median tulwar weight is about 900g. Some are much lighter (600g and less), and some are much heavier (e.g., 1.2kg) without getting into made-for-show, sacrificial, etc. swords. On average, a little lighter (and shorter) than Persian shamshirs, but with more variation. Similar to the range of 19th century European sabres, not counting very long pallasches (for which one could look at long firangi as an Indian equivalent). If coming from 19th century European swords, only the hilt should be surprising, not the weight or handling.

I've only handled one antique khanda, and I didn't have my scales with me. Normal weight for a sword. A little blade heavy - the base of the blade is thin, so even though there's a good chunk of weight in the hilt, the blade itself doesn't help bring the POB back. The tip is thin, so the sword isn't outrageously tip-heavy. Just a bit. This was a sword with the south Indian hilt, rather than the basket hilt.
Two khandas at 1.25kg and 1.3kg:
http://www.higgins-collection.org/artifacts/1513
http://www.higgins-collection.org/artifacts/1841.a
Two tulwars that I've got: one weighs 1040gram (spine thickness 7mm, single narrow fuller), and another 770gram (spine thickness 4mm, two wide fullers). The heavier one feels rock solid, and the light one very flexible and springy.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: