Mild or Stainless for this set?
https://armstreet.com/store/armor/paladin-knight-armor-kit-etched-stainless

im thinking about this but i saw that i could get this in stainless or mild so which one would you go for and why
Hi Ronald,

I would recommend going with stainless steel on this set of armour, because of the extensive etching on it. Mild steel would rust and discolor pretty fast if you don't keep it thoroughly oiled. Especially in the etched areas.
This armour is pretty much fantasy style, so I would not worry about the "accuracy" of the metal type. Stainless steel would be better still if you choose to fight in the armour.
Joshua Waters wrote:
Hi Ronald,

I would recommend going with stainless steel on this set of armour, because of the extensive etching on it. Mild steel would rust and discolor pretty fast if you don't keep it thoroughly oiled. Especially in the etched areas.
This armour is pretty much fantasy style, so I would not worry about the "accuracy" of the metal type. Stainless steel would be better still if you choose to fight in the armour.

well i plan to larp in it (kinda) or spar at the hema place nearby
also i can get 10% off for not getting the etching so if i did that

i also don't mind maintaining it so would stainless still be better than mild?
also how would it be better?

If your going to spar in it, mild might be a better option for banging out dents.

Which HEMA club are you gonna spar at? Blood and Iron?
Ronald M wrote:

well i plan to larp in it (kinda) or spar at the hema place nearby
also i can get 10% off for not getting the etching so if i did that

i also don't mind maintaining it so would stainless still be better than mild?
also how would it be better?

If you don't intend to get the etching, then mild steel might be the better choice. From my experience in HMB steel fighting, mild steel absorbs impacts better, but will deform from hard hits. Mild steel will be easier to beat dents out of later, like Jeff said. Stainless steel on the other hand, won't deform as much or often as the mild steel, but it does not absorb impacts as well as mild steel, so you might feel stings from solid blows more often. And depending on they type of stainless steel the armour is made out of, it might be difficult to beat dents out of, and there is a possibility of the stainless steel cracking if you try.
Jeff Kaisla wrote:
If your going to spar in it, mild might be a better option for banging out dents.

Which HEMA club are you gonna spar at? Blood and Iron?

not sure mebbe its not too far as im in vancouver
why?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: