Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Luftwaffe survival blade Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Brudon

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Luftwaffe survival blade         Reply with quote

Hi guys, not after an opinion or accuracy of the blade so much, more a general opinion of windlass construction quality. If I tried this out in 'machete/survival tasks', hacking and slashing some foilage and batoning etc, would a windlass generally do okay?

https://southernswords.co.uk/german-luftwaffe-machete.html
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Luftwaffe survival blade         Reply with quote

There are others more informed about the quality of Windlass blades than me to answer your question. But I did find an original Luftwaffe machete posted on eBay. In case you hadn't seen it, the photos give a good basis of comparison for the Windlass version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-German-Luftwaffe-...SwUV9WovVE

Sic Semper Tyranus
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Windlass products are alright, and you generally get a lot of "bang for your buck." I would rate them as B or C level quality, which is passing grade. Do not expect a masterpiece, and you will probably not be disappointed.

If you want good modern outdoor tools, I would suggest looking into Ontario Knife Company or Fiskars products. Gerber also rebrands Fiskars tools from time to time, and adds useful pieces of kit like belt sheaths.

If you want a different sort of modern knife made with traditional values, buy a Nepalese kukri. My favorite supplier is GK & Co Kukri House: https://nepalkukri.com/
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How can industrially produced knife of mid 20th century be more expensive that early modern swords of earlier periods?
Michael Brudon

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Beeching wrote:
Windlass products are alright, and you generally get a lot of "bang for your buck." I would rate them as B or C level quality, which is passing grade. Do not expect a masterpiece, and you will probably not be disappointed.

If you want good modern outdoor tools, I would suggest looking into Ontario Knife Company or Fiskars products. Gerber also rebrands Fiskars tools from time to time, and adds useful pieces of kit like belt sheaths.

If you want a different sort of modern knife made with traditional values, buy a Nepalese kukri. My favorite supplier is GK & Co Kukri House: https://nepalkukri.com/

thanks I have other machetes including ontario. Am interested in the luftwaffe repro mostly because of its shape as I don't have a 'survival sword' type yet. Only concern is I have no idea of general sturdiness and edge retention for windlass. Basically whether they are capable of machete use or more into wallhanger territory? Might be a case of suck it and see for this one, does not seem to be much around on this windlass line
Michael Brudon

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Luftwaffe survival blade         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:
There are others more informed about the quality of Windlass blades than me to answer your question. But I did find an original Luftwaffe machete posted on eBay. In case you hadn't seen it, the photos give a good basis of comparison for the Windlass version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-German-Luftwaffe-...SwUV9WovVE

Thanks for the picture. Good to know windlass has got their repro into at least recognizable shape. Not too worried about actual weight/specs as long as the windlass is cutworthy.
Michael Brudon

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just had a thought, should ask on blade/outdoors forums if anyone is using windlass shortswords for trail clearing or fieldcraft. Might be the other way to come at the question.
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Dyer wrote:
How can industrially produced knife of mid 20th century be more expensive that early modern swords of earlier periods?

I presume you're talking about the original for sale on Ebay? Since when is cost relative to production methods? The value of an antique object lies significantly in its historical attributes and the willingness of collectors to pay up. It has little to do with age, scarcity or craftsmanship per se.

-Gregory
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Philip Dyer wrote:

I presume you're talking about the original for sale on Ebay? Since when is cost relative to production methods? The value of an antique object lies significantly in its historical attributes and the willingness of collectors to pay up. It has little to do with age, scarcity or craftsmanship per se.

-Gregory

The original. Not production method per say, just simple supply and demand works against the knife being so expensive. It was mass a produced for hundreds of thousands men, historically remarkable and unremarkable in such recent history as have Veterans still alive with war loot of their own. I tour local markets and spot knives and swords of similiar age and condition for much less.
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Dyer wrote:
I tour local markets and spot knives and swords of similiar age and condition for much less.

Yes, but do you spot Luftwaffe machetes? I just looked over nearly a dozen forum threads (such as germandaggers.com) and auction/sale sites with these machetes by Alcoso and they are inevitably described as rare and valuable, with prices ranging from $1,000-$2,000 for any given example. Also, there were not "hundreds of thousands of them" made. As per one of several sites that refer to details in Collecting the Edged Weapons of The Third Reich, Volume III, pp. 103-105:

"These weapons were carried aboard the He 111 (Heinkel 111 Bombers) serving on the Eastern Front during WW2."

These are clearly specific weapons. Simply look up "AWS Alcoso luftwaffe machete" on Google for plenty of details informing the scarcity and value of these blades.

-Gregory
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Feb, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg_nid5trhM

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Luftwaffe survival blade         Reply with quote

I never knew that German Luftwaffe pilots carried machetes during WWII like this one instead of survival knives.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Luftwaffe survival blade
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic