Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Tuanlian jian Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Tuanlian jian         Reply with quote

Hi folks..

Here is a project I'm finishing up.  It's based on a Qing period 'militia jian' that was sold by Seven Stars Trading company a number of years ago and I was grabbed by it's rustic simplicity.  Not a lot is known about these militia jian (or tuanlian jian as called by Scott Rodell the taichi jian swordsman) but it is assumed that they were stored in a village armoury and dolled out in times of war.  They are certainly what you would call 'munition grade' and so far none have been found with scabbards.  The example I found would be considered very highly made for this class.. and also much longer.  Most were more in the range of 25". 

So I wanted to make a version that was true to form in terms of hilt construction and handling.... but with a more contemporary feel to the overall finish.  The blades on these were typically very 'lumpy' and poorly finished even if they were very well built in other respects.  Many of them bore the seven star constellation theme on the blade in the form of brass plugged holes.. a powerful talisman in Chinese martial culture.

Mine has a 29" 5160 blade, wrought iron fittings and Castellian boxwood grip. The weight is 1 pound 14 ounces with a POB of 6.5 inches from the guard (many originals were as much as 8 inches!) Here are some pictures:

The original sword:

I have lots of build pictures on my website:  http://www.bigrockforge.com/a-tuan-lian-or-militia-jian/
As well as availability information.  This sword is available for purchase but is temporarily being sent to Scott Rodell for test cutting and handling evaluation. He is a scholar of the Chinese sword and an accomplished taichi jian swordsman and has handled an inordinate number of jian.. so it will be very valuable feedback for me. 

Thanks for looking!

http://www.bigrockforge.com
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Tuanlian jian         Reply with quote

This jian looks nice to me.
Is it currently on sale?

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tuanlian jian         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:

This jian looks nice to me.
Is it currently on sale?

Yes I do have it up for sale. It will be sent very briefly to Scott Rodell of the Great River Taoist Center for handling and then it will be returned to me and then available for shipment to customer.

J. Nicolaysen

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a really very nice sword Scott. I like the constellation and the fittings, great job!

At one time I really thought about trying to learn some Chinese swordsmanship but the opportunity never came about. This looks like a great sword for it, wish I knew more.
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jan, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's nice to see someone working with Chinese swords!

I've found those militia jian to be fascinating from the time that Scott first discussed them on his website. I've played with dozens of ideas for a custom jian over the years and the jian you used for inspiration is one I've used as well. I have a couple of other militia jian photos and my custom designs also borrow heavily from them:

Attachment: 40.92 KB
duan jian 004.JPG

Attachment: 37.04 KB
qing jian overall.jpg

Kevin Colwell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Scott,
you know that I love this sword. I am just posting here because I know how much research you did for this one, and what great care you took to get it just right.

Outstanding example of what would have been used by a militia. Great work, as usual.

kc

If there is a lower class, I am in it
If there is a criminal element, I am of it
If there is a soul in prison, I can not be free!

E V Debs
John T.

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Scott. Beautiful sword. I look forward to seeing what Scott has to say. You have become one of my favorite smiths.
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses everybody! Sorry to lapse in responding. I've had another Chinese sword project fail miserably and have been trying to pick up the pieces.

Scott Rodell did test this sword in very cold weather and it handled seasoned, old growth bamboo wonderfully. Not even a scratch. He did mention that I need more mass in the grip for indexing. I can solve this by adding a silk wrap.

Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few pictures of Scott Rodell handling the sword by the way:

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Tuanlian jian
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic