15th century longsword windlass pommel
how can i get the pommel off the 15th century longsword?
i tried but it won't budge no matter how hard i try
any ideas?

thanks in advace! cheers :P
This one?
[ Linked Image ]

Honestly... use it a bit. even dry handling and the pommel will start to loosen.

Non satirical answer, wrap the pommel in a Tshirt and use a vice grip+a pipe if necessary to remove it. Torque is your friend. They use threadlocker on the things straight from the factory but it isn't that durable. a bit of left loosey and it'll screw right off.
Tom King wrote:
This one?
[ Linked Image ]

Honestly... use it a bit. even dry handling and the pommel will start to loosen.

Non satirical answer, wrap the pommel in a Tshirt and use a vice grip+a pipe if necessary to remove it. Torque is your friend. They use threadlocker on the things straight from the factory but it isn't that durable. a bit of left loosey and it'll screw right off.

yep its definitely that one.. thanks for the advice ill try it tomorrow when i get up
I don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but Windlass 15th century longsword I had years ago was extremely solid sword and I did quite a bit of abusive wood and branch cutting with it and it never loosened. It's a good sword. Why do you want to take the pommel off?
If they use a threadlocker then you can soften that with heat. Perhaps as simple as holding it over a candle for a minute or two.

-Kirk
Luka Borscak wrote:
I don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but Windlass 15th century longsword I had years ago was extremely solid sword and I did quite a bit of abusive wood and branch cutting with it and it never loosened. It's a good sword. Why do you want to take the pommel off?

i was planning on customising it a bit
Kirk B. wrote:
If they use a threadlocker then you can soften that with heat. Perhaps as simple as holding it over a candle for a minute or two.

-Kirk

would a bic lighter work?
A candle or bic lighter can provide heat needed to expand pommel enough to loosen threads and lock tite, however they may discolor your pommel. If you let the entire sword cool down so that even the tang is cool then dip pommel in boiling water so it heats it should loosen lock tite and swell pommel enough to remove. Wrap pommel in damp paper towels to prevent scaring. How much you use depends on how aggressive the teeth are on the pliers you use. Reguards Eric
Use a hairblower to heat it up a bit and then put some muscle into it.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: