Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Lady V Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Lady V         Reply with quote

This is more of a fantasy piece, but...

http://albion-swords.com/swords/albion/late/sword-vivamus.htm

Lars just finished the prototype of the Lady V sword -- she is a beaut!

I myself have been waiting for this sword since I was about 7 and first read the book... now show me some Horned Ghosts and the old Eater of Souls...

Best,

Howy

Attachment: 28.75 KB
ladyv02.jpg

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Eek! Eek!

Gotta love it.
It's spot on, if I compare it to the real (imagined while reading the book of course hehe) Lady. I'd buy one if I didn't have other priorities, sword-wise.
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't read the book but that sword looks perfect for sabre dueling. How does it handle?
Sjá, þar sé ek föður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek móður mina ok systur mina ok bróður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek allan minn frændgarð.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Biðja mér at taka minn stað hjá þeim í sölum Valhallar, þar drengiligr menn munu lifa allan aldr.
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Yurgil wrote:
I haven't read the book but that sword looks perfect for sabre dueling. How does it handle?

I am somewhat biased... but I love the way she handles -- she was designed to have great point control, and she's got it, yet her blade is "heavy enough to chop bone" as described in the book.

Her angled and contoured grip works well with both a "hammer grip" and with a a more traditional fencing grip with your thumb on the thumbrest.

No one here can stop picking it up and playing with it -- especially Mike.

Albion Swords Ltd
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lovely Big Grin ! Very cool Cool . A little out of my price range at the moment though Sad Cry . What are the chances of something else saber-ish showing up as a NG in the near future (I mean you have such a nice blade there)? Oh, and how's the Trafalger coming?

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:
Lovely Big Grin ! Very cool Cool . A little out of my price range at the moment though Sad Cry . What are the chances of something else saber-ish showing up as a NG in the near future (I mean you have such a nice blade there)? Oh, and how's the Trafalger coming?

Cheers,

Sabers (historical) are in the future for the NG line -- we just need to do the first-hand research, which means a lot of travelling and permissions from museums to thoroughly document originals. The bookshelf behind my desk is lined with 1700's and 1800's source material.

Steve Fisher, our CAD designer, is fascinated by the later period pieces the way Peter is with the earlier period pieces, and has already volunteered to start the documentation process.

It is just a matter of having the r&d and production time -- not to mention the "brain space."

On the Trafalgar -- Eric and Peter documented a very nice specimen and it is slowly wending its way through the r&d process. Hopefully sometime on 2005.

Until then, we have these little projects that we can push through -- and Jody has been doing a lot of contemporary designs for sabers and cutlasses.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Nate C. wrote:

Cheers,

Sabers (historical) are in the future for the NG line -- we just need to do the first-hand research, which means a lot of travelling and permissions from museums to thoroughly document originals. The bookshelf behind my desk is lined with 1700's and 1800's source material.

Steve Fisher, our CAD designer, is fascinated by the later period pieces the way Peter is with the earlier period pieces, and has already volunteered to start the documentation process.

It is just a matter of having the r&d and production time -- not to mention the "brain space."

On the Trafalgar -- Eric and Peter documented a very nice specimen and it is slowly wending its way through the r&d process. Hopefully sometime on 2005.

Until then, we have these little projects that we can push through -- and Jody has been doing a lot of contemporary designs for sabers and cutlasses.

Best,

Howy

Howy,

speaking of sabre dueling.....
Any new progress on our little project? I'm still getting gobs of inquiries from the community, and would love to have something (anything, either way, timeframe, etc) to tell them...
I'm also definitely looking forward to getting a blade or two to put into testing use.... :-D

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Holzman wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:
Nate C. wrote:

Cheers,

Best,

Howy

Howy,

speaking of sabre dueling.....
Any new progress on our little project? I'm still getting gobs of inquiries from the community, and would love to have something (anything, either way, timeframe, etc) to tell them...
I'm also definitely looking forward to getting a blade or two to put into testing use.... :-D

Hey Chris,
I´m not Howy, but...
The occasion when you generously lended your sabre for us to study was a very hectic trip for me. My impressions of the swords I got to see are cramped with many other impressions. It was to short a time to get a frim idea of the sword, at least enough to build a good design on it.
Before I venture deeper into designing a dueling sabre, I would like to have opportunity to see that sword again, but also look at some other duelling sabres, so I get a feel for the type. There are some different blade types and hilt options to concider.

If you would´nt mind, it would be really great if you´d consider lending that sword again. I do understand if you would not like to do that, but I feel a need to see ore of these sword before I make a desing for production.

I have kept my eyes open for sabre, but mainly earlier types.
One thing to keep in mind is that for later periods it will probably be more economical for a colector to get an original than an ambitious reconstruction.
It is a matter of choosing those types tat are rare or very valuable on the collector market.
For practise sbres/duelling sabres the siuation might be different.
It will take some study to get a good idea of this field. It is different from medieval or rennaissance swords, that is for sure.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Lady V
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic