Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Urs Velunt Zweihänder Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Richard Z.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Urs Velunt Zweihänder         Reply with quote

Hey,

I've developed a crush for danish greatswords a while ago and have been looking to buy one. Unfortunately, the Albion one is way out of my price range. Recently i stumbled upon this one made by Urs Velunt (Haller): http://www.ritterladen.de/Waffen-Ruestung/And...elunt.html
So now I'm wondering if it is worth buying. Does any of you have any experience with this sword?

Cheers Happy
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Urs Velunt Zweihänder         Reply with quote

I haven't held this Zweihänder yet.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No experience with it, but at over 5 feet long, and more than 6.5lbs, this would seem to be less a sword and more a "sword like object". The Albion example is about 4" shorter and more than 2lbs lighter - still a hefty sword, but likely manageable. The proportions of the sword in your link suggest it would be more of a ceremonial piece. Then again, I haven't handled it, or any sword approaching its proportions, so I may be mistaken - the balance may be so good that it handles like a dream - but if I were using it for personal defense, I suspect I'd have to use it more like a pole-arm (thinking along the lines of a glaive or similar weapon), with a hand on the grip and a hand on the extended ricasso, but still wouldn't expect great handling and a swift recovery. While I believe this fighting style may have been the original intent for a sword of this type, the stats still seem to suggest it's overbuilt.

Hopefully you'll find someone with hands-on experience, but it seems to me this object would be a bit unwieldy and not the most accurate representation of the type.

As always, I'm happy to be shown I'm wrong and learn something new in the process.
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

6.5lbs, no, that is still on the lighter side for a two hander, (historically) and almost right in the butter zone. any two handed sword, reproduction or other wise, dances around the weights of 6-8-10lbs 10 borders on a bearing sword.
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: 2 handers         Reply with quote

Hello
I have the privilege of being the owner of the Zweihander that is on the Arms-n-Armor website.It weighs in at slightly less than 7 pounds but is very quick and responsive in the hands.
I would think that would probably be on the high end of the scale for combat weapons.

Tim Mathews

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Urs Velunt Zweihänder
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic