Scorpion Swords- toughness/quality?
Hi guys was looking to pick up maybe a xiphos or messer type beater that can hold together for some cutting abuse, if not be a great fencing implement .Wondered where Scorpion swords sits in the general scale for hardness/solidity. They do seem heavy, which is not overly a concern in this case as I am looking for something similar to Cold Steel functionality.
Hoo, well, a friend unloaded a Scorpion Swords "Kopis Sword of Philip II", which I proceeded to convert to a much more historical form. The brass pommel and guard pieces were much cruder than in the photo online, just ground flat and square, not rounded or polished at all. And they were GLUED on. No kidding. I gave one piece a rap with a hammer, thinking to find blind rivets or welds, and it flew across the room. Well, it was easier than getting the hilt off a Deepeeka sword, that's for sure!

But for sparring? No way. The steel seems a little better than mild, but I'm really no judge of that. I just ground off half the weigh, tweaked the shape, and put a new hilt on it.

Sorry about that...

Matthew
Re: Scorpion Swords- toughness/quality?
Michael Brudon wrote:
Hi guys was looking to pick up maybe a xiphos or messer type beater that can hold together for some cutting abuse, if not be a great fencing implement .Wondered where Scorpion swords sits in the general scale for hardness/solidity. They do seem heavy, which is not overly a concern in this case as I am looking for something similar to Cold Steel functionality.

If you're looking for something that can cut and take a beating, you might want to take a look at Windlass Steelcraft's Cobra Steel line. Much cheaper than Scorpion Swords but functional - I have the Lakonia (a sort of shot, guardless xiphos?) and love it to death.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: