Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Migration era repro Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a few Migration swords. Both the Migration D and Kragehul handle very nicely but their blade profiles are ahistorical. The sword the Mad Dawarves made for me, Heartjener, is very light and fast.

Scott Roush recently finished another for me, and it is more historically constructed if somewhat ahistorical itself, (it has some meteorite in the fittings)

I owned a 2070 as well. It is a good solid sword that was not shiny, kind of gray dull and with out the leather wrapping looked much better. I am not sure about Windless and they almost copy they have made of the 2070. If you are trying to chose between the two, I would go with the 2070.

two cents

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If handle material is a concern, bear in mind that handles are not particularly difficult to clean up or change out. You don't like a leather wrap? Strip it and re-do yourself, or have someone do it for you, generally it's pretty reasonable for a simple wrap re-do. Other modifications aren't particularly difficult; the trick is doing it right.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David, thanks for your input. I really admire the "meteorite sword" Scott Roush made for you. Very nice.

Based on the comments here I have ordered the DT 2070 from KOA, sharpened. I think I will enjoy it. I appreciate all the help.

Quote:
If handle material is a concern, bear in mind that handles are not particularly difficult to clean up or change out. You don't like a leather wrap? Strip it and re-do yourself, or have someone do it for you, generally it's pretty reasonable for a simple wrap re-do. Other modifications aren't particularly difficult; the trick is doing it right.

Thanks Jeffrey Faulk. I went back and looked at the DT2070 handle and decided if the material feels good it will be no problem. If it is cheaply done I will have to do something like what you encourage. Thanks. It's probably just fine leather, I thought it looked a little worn and quickly done. We'll see I guess.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:

Based on the comments here I have ordered the DT 2070 from KOA, sharpened. I think I will enjoy it. I appreciate all the help.

When you receive it, please let us know what you think of it. The DT2070 was on my To Get Someday list for years, but I never did get around to buying one.
Kenneth Lee Hoffman II

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just recently purchased a Nielo Migration Era Sword - NS015 from kultofathena.com. Not that bad of a sword to start off with. i'm probably going to end up doing some customization's to mine along with tapering the blade and cleaning the edge up but all in all i do not regret the purchase.

Attachment: 140.24 KB
here is a picture of it next to the Albion Reeve for comparison. [ Download ]
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not a bad looking sword, but that huge spacer really should be removed. Big Grin
Kenneth Lee Hoffman II

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

one of the few customizations i have planned.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Quote:
When you receive it, please let us know what you think of it. The DT2070 was on my To Get Someday list for years, but I never did get around to buying one.

Hi Roger, I received the sword today! It was actually due Friday, but late one day and then the weekend mail stop. Anyhow my impressions overall are positive. It has too long of a hilt I think, but I am not an expert on these swords. The leather wrap and all the fittings seem very well done actually. The handling is about what I expected, but not at all dire. It just takes a different set of expectations and use. I hope to go in more detail and take some pics tomorrow but that is my initial out of the box take.

Solid construction I think. I hate the del tin stamp, it looks quite out of character for the sword.

KOA did a good sharpening and sent it quickly and well packaged, so I can recommend that as well.

Hopefully more tomorrow.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenneth Lee Hoffman II wrote:
I just recently purchased a Nielo Migration Era Sword - NS015 from kultofathena.com. Not that bad of a sword to start off with. i'm probably going to end up doing some customization's to mine along with tapering the blade and cleaning the edge up but all in all i do not regret the purchase.

Hi Kenneth, I'm glad you got the Nielo. What do you think about the construction overall? Well-put together? Decent steel? I look forward to your customizations. It seems like you think the Nielo is a good base--steel and so forth.
Ronald M

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i did see that you said windlass dosent excite you but..
check this out i guess
http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=31897&highlight=

smiley face 123? no? lol yeah well im here cause i like...swords and weapons and stuff obv
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Ronald,
Thanks for that. It's actually a nice looking sword, and I have done good business with the owner before and can recomend him. It certainly looks better than the windlass migration sword that is available now which got some bad reviews I take seriously. But I would consider it more of a "Viking Age" sword, or a few hundred years after the time I'm interested in here. And I have already received this DT2070! But I appreciate it.
Ronald M

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
Hi Ronald,
Thanks for that. It's actually a nice looking sword, and I have done good business with the owner before and can recomend him. It certainly looks better than the windlass migration sword that is available now which got some bad reviews I take seriously. But I would consider it more of a "Viking Age" sword, or a few hundred years after the time I'm interested in here. And I have already received this DT2070! But I appreciate it.

Dang though i could give some help rather than just recieve it
Well anyways thanks for the kind response

smiley face 123? no? lol yeah well im here cause i like...swords and weapons and stuff obv
Kenneth Lee Hoffman II

PostPosted: Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Kenneth, I'm glad you got the Nielo. What do you think about the construction overall? Well-put together? Decent steel? I look forward to your customizations. It seems like you think the Nielo is a good base--steel and so forth.

I really have a fondness for this sword, it seems to be put together well though it was a bit loose in the hilt area which was easily fixed.Other cons of this sword would be the handle being slightly to long which i hope to shorten down to average historical measurements. The blade seems to be of a quality high carbon spring steel not sure the grade but so far though initial flex tests and some torture holds up really well. There is no distal taper to the blade which makes it extremely blade heavy but i hope to soon remedy this to a more manageable point of balance on the sword with a little time on the belt sander. I also hope just to clean up the edges a bit. The price of the sword is what initially made me get it over the DT2071 Lombard which I plan on getting as well. I just wanted something i could practice on and not feel bad about doing it.
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been led to believe the reason why DelTin swords are all manufactured and sold "blunt" is that it's illegal in Italy to manufacture/ sell new swords that have sharp edges. It's perfectly feasible to have them sharpened and used, but it'd have to be done by a third party ( eg..buy one from KOA and get THEM to sharpen it )
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have some rough pictures now, and hope to get a few more if anyone is interested. Bear in mind I am not the best photographer nor a blade expert.

After the pure aesthetic appeal of any sword or weapon, I like being drawn into the culture and history of the people who used that weapon. Since I'm so new at this I can't exactly evaluate a sword in a way most of you are able to.

Anyhow my closest frame of reference for the DT2070 was my A&A Anglo-Saxon sword. I expected the DT2070 to be somewhat similar to the A-S in grip length and blade presence but not finish and quality. I was very wrong with this perception, but I'm at the beginning of the collecting time when it is always a nice feeling to take a sword out of a box and be surprised by it. Definitely makes me want to handle a lot more swords to have more experience.

The age difference of the swords of their time is about 250-350 years. The A-S costs about a third more as the DT2070. I won't make any assumptions as to whether the handling differences is a mark of the company or more a fair representation of the original types they try to reproduce. I'll need to handle a lot more viking and late-migration time swords! I do have an Albion Senlac which seemed too different to make a useful comparison for this.

As can be seen in the pictures, the DT2070 has a longer grip and blade than the A-S. I've gotten very used to the A-S in the last year, I don't mind the short grip at all and it feels very quick. A-S has a balance point much closer to the guard, and weighs about 1/4 lbs less. It is shorter by about 3 in. This info is all from the KOA website on the swords, I haven't measured my particular two.

DT2070 has a wider blade. I don't know much of the particular classes of pre-Oakeshott types, such as Geiberg and Behmer. I also don't know how typical the A-S is compared to other Viking era swords of its price-point. I see that the Albion Huskarl which looks closest by hilt and pommel type, is actually closer to the DT2070 in weight and length.

DT2070 has more blade presence and feels more tip-heavy than the A-S. But it feels different, not bad. I think it is a decent handler. I think it will be a powerful cutter, but fatiguing. Of course it isn't like some of my later swords, like the Senlac or the A&A Irish, but why should it be? I do feel the weight, but comparing it to specs found on Patrick Barta's website, it's actually close to a similar sword, so seems within the parameters of the the time perhaps.

What else? I don't have calipers to measure, but I can see the distal taper starting near the balance point. My reservations about leather wrap, fitting quality and shiny steel all seem inane. Everything fits together fine and is handsome. The handle seems too thick, but all in all I'm pleased with this purchase. I'd recommend it to someone looking for a sword from this time period and this price. But maybe it isn't useful to compare it with a sword from a very different time period.

So I feel like I've learned a few things from the sword already even if it isn't a high level of knowledge and not accurate in all cases. I've at least gotten to research the time and have a nice addition to my collection where I simply did not have anything between a VA Gladius and the A-S.

Edited to add: I wear a size medium glove. Sorry the pics aren't great. The top/bottom photo has a bad perspective that exaggerates the length difference a touch.

Attachment: 121.08 KB
IMG_2906 (640x427).jpg
A&A Anglo-Saxon Top, DT2070 Bottom

Attachment: 123.23 KB
IMG_2908 (640x427).jpg
A-S Left, DT2070 Right

Attachment: 103.84 KB
IMG_2912 (640x427).jpg
DT2070 in hand

Attachment: 107.43 KB
IMG_2910 (640x427).jpg
A-S in hand

Last edited by J. Nicolaysen on Sun 22 Nov, 2015 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ralph Grinly wrote:
I've been led to believe the reason why DelTin swords are all manufactured and sold "blunt" is that it's illegal in Italy to manufacture/ sell new swords that have sharp edges. It's perfectly feasible to have them sharpened and used, but it'd have to be done by a third party ( eg..buy one from KOA and get THEM to sharpen it )

I did get this one sharpened. As I said earlier I thought that being made blunt from DT meant the steel was somehow unable to be sharpened. But I was obviously wrong, they did a good job.
Carl W.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Not a bad looking sword, but that huge spacer really should be removed. :D

Kenneth Lee Hoffman II wrote:
one of the few customizations i have planned.

Gut feel, I think reducing the size of that spacer (both dimensions) to shorten the grip some & also make it a small bump in palm rather than big knob is the one change the Nielo needs? Replacing it with a small bronze spacer might also work? Fwiw, I am not a migration expert, just feeling having been around this site some years. Might search & look at more examples before making changes. (Wonder why Nielo made it so big?) Regardless if or what you change please consider adding a "when done" review to this topic.

JN, thanks for this topic & your review/pics. Appears there are some decent migration offerings at reasonable cost.
ps. I recall originally assuming same as you about DT steel, then later learning it is good.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

About your comparing the DT2070 and the A&A Saxon sword - there was a big jump in blade quality from Migration swords to Viking era swords. So, as you said, the latter is going to feel better in your hand.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
About your comparing the DT2070 and the A&A Saxon sword - there was a big jump in blade quality from Migration swords to Viking era swords. So, as you said, the latter is going to feel better in your hand.

Roger I wish I could compare the DT2070 to another DT viking sword, or the A&A A-S to the A&A Shifford, or to an Albion Viking sword. Then I would feel better about making any conclusions for me. I just need more money right? In the meantime, I'm quite pleased to have it. The 2070 doesn't feel bad in hand, it is just very noticeably different, really surprised me. Maybe the A-S is like the Brescia Spadona of viking swords...It is based on one of those Ingelrii examples. I like how it handles more than the Senlac though the senlac has more reach and thrusting potential.

It would be great to see other reviews on the Nielo and the DT2071 in this thread too at some point!
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm curious about that DT 2070. How's the pommel attached ? Is it *historically* correct, with the pommel itself being constructed of several parts, held together with rivets ? I can see ( or guess) it's at least 3 pieces , lower plate-spacer-top plate, but is that top plate including the pommel cap as well ? ( Sorry for probably in-correct terms, but I'm not sure of the correct terms for hilt's of that style)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Migration era repro
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: