Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about Petersen's type G hilt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Questions about Petersen's type G hilt         Reply with quote

For one, does anyone know of any accual photos of one of these swords? I have only found the
drawing made by Petersen, or drawings based off of Petersen's. Secondly in Petersen's sketch
it shows the pommel cap with a gap between the scrolled upper guard. I take it that this is only
because he was drawing a sword that was infront of him at the time and it is showing the present
condition it is in, correct?

Thanks
Shane
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about Petersen's type G hilt         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:
For one, does anyone know of any accual photos of one of these swords? I have only found the
drawing made by Petersen, or drawings based off of Petersen's. Secondly in Petersen's sketch
it shows the pommel cap with a gap between the scrolled upper guard. I take it that this is only
because he was drawing a sword that was infront of him at the time and it is showing the present
condition it is in, correct?

Thanks
Shane

The drawing in Petersens work is probably a faithful rendering of the original. The gap between pommel and pommel cap is not a typical feature, but would have been there on the original when new. Something that hapened in manufacture and did not bother the owner too much? He probably new he got what he payed for Big Grin
I have personally seen only one hilt of this rare type. (No photo, sorry) It was a sword hidden in the store room of the Historical museum in Stockholm. The sword was found in the very north of sweden. If I remember correctly it actually had a surviving bone grip. Might be wrong there. I seem to remember the bone being carved with patterns not too unlike that found on modern sami-knives, but rougher.
The sword was small and short. A single edged blade, like a long and slim bowie-knife without clip point. It did have a wide and shallow fuller. Not very beautiful. It seemed the sword was made by a smith that was not very fond of filing, so he made a fancy hilt by scrolling the ends of the upper and lower guard instead. The blade was naturally ground and polished. Surface was black, but still in quite good condition if I remember correctly. (This was five-six years ago.)
On the whole the sword had a character of rough and ready, being made a bit away from the main production centres by someone with a mind of his own regarding how a sword should look like.
The hilt components on the sword I saw was naturally slim in proportions to fit the blade. There was no gap between pommel and cap as I remember. The scrolls were smaller and both guard and pommel were more elongated.

Hope this confused info helps.
Peter
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, thanks Peter that helps very much.
Shane
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought I would bump this topic and see if anyone has any "new" info they could add on the Type G hilt or if anyone has any pictures of originals that they would like to post. Like Shane mentioned the only reference of the type G hilts I have been able to dig up are... is the drawing showing a typical type G.

I know they are rare but hoping to shed some light on this hilt type that is very attractive in my opinion (I hope
Boris R.

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the photo I've dug up online

Attachment: 62.63 KB
[ Download ]

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Johan Thörnqvist

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is one from Niåtsosjaure, Jokkmokk parish, Sweden. According to F. Androshchuk it was found on the shore of lake Niåtsosjaure and could possibly be an indication of trade between people in Norway and the Sami.
Total length: 65 cm
Upper guard: L 7; H 1-1,7; W 1,5 cm
Tang: L 8,5; W 1,8-2,9 cm
Lower guard: L 8; H 0,8-2-1,8; W 2-1,2 cm
Blade: W 5,3 cm

Attachment: 86.92 KB
image.jpeg
Type G

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about Petersen's type G hilt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic