Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Question about international shipping (from UK to US) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andrew W

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Question about international shipping (from UK to US)         Reply with quote

I'm currently in the UK, and I would like to acquire some hazel shafts to make into spears. If I do this, however, I'll eventually need to ship them back to the US.

Does anyone have any experience shipping reproduction weapons - particularly spears - into the states?

I've found some carriers willing to ship 2m long packages, but many have restrictions against shipping weapons. Do spears count as weapons, or can I declare them as some sort of collectable? And does anyone know if US customs frowns on importing reproduction weapons with wooden components (the hazel shafts)?

I'd simply carry the spearheads home and rehaft them in the states, but I've been unable to find a source for copiced hazel in the US (and it's so easy to find it in the UK).
Tom King

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Worst case scenario, ship the shafts and take the spearheads as checked baggage.

As far as I know, there is no US side law regarding the importation of blades. I've bought a few european made custom pieces and they've shipped with no issue. "weapons" in the US and "weapons" in the UK are two different definitions. Fedex or some other company would have no problems US side customs/company policy wise regarding shipping hafted spears.
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I buy from Tod' Stuff fairly regularly and I've never had a problem. The postage for the spear shafts may be exorbitant since they'll be over size but you shouldn't have any issues with US Customs.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 10 Nov, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew W wrote
Quote:
I'm currently in the UK, and I would like to acquire some hazel shafts to make into spears. If I do this, however, I'll eventually need to ship them back to the US.

Does anyone have any experience shipping reproduction weapons - particularly spears - into the states?

There will be no problem with weapons per se, but I would advise against calling them weapons, so not spears, but try athletic equipment. There is no law against it, but the UK shippers, even Fedex, UPS etc will not take them.

The only fly is that if the hazel has bark on, then there be some issues with that because of the risk to flora and fauna; not sure about that though.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Robert Muse

PostPosted: Tue 10 Nov, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Wood         Reply with quote

Wood with bark from China is highly regulated. Not so much a problem from the UK. Be sure to declare it as CBP AG will need to inspect it. Currently it seems admissible, but if there is no AG Officer present, it may be seized under the "when in doubt, keep it out" policy

Robert
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 10 Nov, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't say about the UK side but with USA its easy. From Canada I prefer regular post both ways because it does not involve any phone calls or charges at the border. I just get dinged by Canadian taxes when things arrive in my town. Tracking numbers are a must because at least you know when things get hung up for a while somewhere, rather than pulling your hair out not knowing why your order has disappeared in space and time.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 10 Nov, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Athletic equipment, theater props or collectible medieval reproduction all seem to work just fine. Never had any problem with things of this nature coming in or going out.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Question about international shipping (from UK to US)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic