Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where to buy Antique smallsword blades? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alexander Ehlers

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Where to buy Antique smallsword blades?         Reply with quote

Salutations.

Their is a review on this website by Stephen Fisher, where he talks about his awesome Smallsword. It has an antique blade, and it weighs 11 ounces. I am really attracted to this concept, as the sword looks very attractive, and I like how smallswords sometimes weigh less than a pound. Where could I get a antique blade, and how can I get it hilted by a excellent swordsmith?

Never give up without giving a fight, fighting is an opportunity for victory.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Where to buy antique smallsword blades?         Reply with quote

I never heard of antique smallsword blades being sold without hilts.
And I am not quite sure where to find those.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would search the various auction sites, Hermann Historica, Bonhams,Czernys, etc. Often they will sell blades, but it might be cheaper to purchase a composite sword or one that requires a bit of tlc.
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Alexander,

Your idea of hilting an antique blade is one that have been followed through by a number of individuals. Finding the blade is indeed the hardest part. Don's suggestion of auction sites is probably your easiest route. What I might add is that you may not be able to find a blade by itself. They come up for sale only very rarely . What is more likely is you may be able to find an original smallsword for sale in poor condition ( broken knuckle bow, loose hilt, etc) and salvage the blade from that. Smallswords fitting this description do surface on Ebay consistently. Patience will be neccessary in this endeavor.

Another suggestion to aid in locating a blade would be to post a ' wanted ' add on this site as well as other places on the web , including social media groups . There are some very active groups of enthusiasts on Facebook. Someone is bound to have a blade somewhere.... just be persistent in your search.

You may want to try contacting both Benjamin Arms and Jacob's Armoury about your idea, either may have a lead on a blade , and can also assist in the hilting aspect as well. There are certainly plenty of other options as well, but these two stand out as smallsword specific makers.

https://www.facebook.com/BenjaminArmory/

http://www.jacobsarmoury.com/smallswords.html

Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

bare blades turn up all reasonably regularly at auction, you just have to keep looking at the online auction sites. Or even scour militaria and junk shops wherever you find them. Some great discoveries have been found that way....

Just checked the next Del Mar sale though, nothing in there. I'm afraid. Well not by way of blades that is...

Having said that, they are snapped up fast to do just what you intend. Sometimes its done honestly too ;-)

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are a bit younger smallswords like this French one for not too much money.
https://www.aukcije.hr/prodaja/kolekcionarstvo/Militarija/Trofejno-oruzje/278/oglas/Sablja-rapir-oficirska-Francuska-sanitet-period-Napoleon-III-XIX-st/2463073/
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check eBay. I remember seeing a loose smallsword blade from the 1700s within the last week.

Here's how to find the blade:
Route 1: Collectibles>Knives and Swords>Antique swords (or antique sword blades)

Route 2: Collectibles>Militaria>Sword blades

Hope this helps!

--ElJay
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Found it! eBay # 231752990926
Blade itself is 31" long, 36" overall, and has some etched/gilt design.

--ElJay

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where to buy Antique smallsword blades?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic