Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: import advice Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Paul Ballantyne

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Wanted: import advice         Reply with quote

I was checking up last night online, and there have been some horror stories of people trying to bring blades into the UK and the UK customs holding the items.

There are reports of UK customs holding/seizing swords under obscure law regarding curved swords brought in several years ago. Straight swords are exempt but there have been horror stories of buyers having to fight the red tape to stop their valuable swords being confiscated due to a obscure and draconian law.

I am not a martial artist or member of a club. I am just a normal person with a great interest in history that would like to expand his collection of historical items.

I am currently hoping to buy an Albion sword and subsequently expand this collection later on, but I don't want to take a chance of losing the sword and money . I also want to stay within the law.

I would appreciate any members advice and guidance that has experience in this regard.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't concern yourself with it in the slightest, with one exception.

The UK customs and Police are not really very strict or Draconian compared to many other places, so don't give them too hard a time.

The law regarding curved swords is to stop people selling/buying sets of 3 curved 'samurai' swords at the local market for £30 and chopping each other up with them in the school playground or wherever and the customs and border agency know that.

Straight swords are not a problem full stop; a curved sword like a knecht or a soldat is technically illegal for me to have as I am not a member of a club etc, however I have never given it a second thought.

My advice is buy what you want and be responsible. I have never heard of a serious sword being confiscated.

Have fun.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: import advice
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic