Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Jan 17: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Considering all of the features for this week's site update, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
79%
 79%  [ 46 ]
Very Good
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
Good
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Fair
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 58

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Jan 17: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Call to Arms: The
Italian Rapier
An article by Bill Grandy

Phoenix Metal Creations Pappenheimer

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

Darkwood Armory Pappenheimer

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great stuff as always Nathan & Bill!

I'm glad to see a review of your Darkwood Armory Pappenheimer. It would be nice to get someone who owns one of his more custom pieces to submit a review. (That way people could get a good idea of the type of work he capable of doing if asked.) A good example of his custom work is Geoff Freeman’s beautiful set.

Here is another one of Scott's Pappenheimers mounted on a Hanwei blade (pictured alongside a my custom A&A smallsword for size perspective)

It almost hurts (almost) to look at the pictures of the Erik Stevenson (Phoenix Metal Creations) Pappenheimer. I love that sword. lol

I assume Don & Erik used this Pappenheimer from the Cleveland Museum of Art for inspiration. Although there are many hilts out there that are similar.
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/4664.html
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great stuff chaps Cool
Bill,
Your not helping me my friend after reading your article and reviews i'm left thinking i need a rapier pretty bad, Wink
Good reading, thanks.
Cool
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grand article & reviews Bill! The Darkwood review is great being as my sidering sword from Scott should be here by the end of the week. A Pappenheimer has been next in line on my wish list, so these reviews have been a great help.

Bill
aka the other Bill G. Wink

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad you guys enjoyed them! It's funny, but writing an introduction to the use of the rapier was harder than I first thought: There's so many things that I can show easily in person, but take two paragraphs of writing to describe. The article is certainly by no means comprehensive, but I hope it helps to give a basic idea of its use to those who do not fence, or even better, to start some people off into learning. Happy

Stephen A. Fisher wrote:
It would be nice to get someone who owns one of his more custom pieces to submit a review. (That way people could get a good idea of the type of work he capable of doing if asked.) A good example of his custom work is Geoff Freeman?s beautiful set.

All I'm going to say is: Wink
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill;

Good job explaining the basics to non-fencers ( Very much me!) . I think it helped a lot , won't say that I now understand fencing, but I do have a clue now past the stage or movie fighting that unfortunately has been burned into my brain since the Robin Hood T.V. series of the 1950s.

As with the false idea (Mostly false) of edge parrying the point of the excersice is to hit the opponent while not getting hit, not how many times in a minute you can clash (damage) two swords together .........LOL.

It all about timing, distance, technique and the experience to read what the other will do while not telegraphing what you will actually do! All very simple in theory but very hard to do.

Oh, also, for the novice the specialize language of fencing makes it difficult to visualize what is being explained: Very often the person trying to explain fencing will go from the basic explanation of terms to full speed jargon and loose the novice who hasn't yet absorbed the said jargon. (Well I guess the person trying to learn should expect to have to put in the effort to get past the first level of basic concepts.)

From this sample I think that you must be very good teaching this stuff.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Rowe

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Bill;

*snip*

Oh, also, for the novice the specialize language of fencing makes it difficult to visualize what is being explained: Very often the person trying to explain fencing will go from the basic explanation of terms to full speed jargon and loose the novice who hasn't yet absorbed the said jargon. (Well I guess the person trying to learn should expect to have to put in the effort to get past the first level of basic concepts.)

Yes, being a student of his, I must say, he is very good at teaching. Happy He always has excellent explanations and practical applications, he really knows his stuff. I'm very glad to be a student of his. And, after much deliberation, I'm putting in an order for a Darkwood pappenheimer with fluted plate shells. There were many models that went into consideration, but I really like the looks of this one. I considered comissioning a fully custom piece, as there are several historic examples I'd like to see made, but unfortunately don't have the funds at the moment.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! You're going to give me a big head!

Nathan, by the way, made the awesome acompanying pictures. I basically said to him what I wanted for the article, sometimes sending him the main pictures (such as the Capo Ferro plates), and *poof*, he made it, and made it so that it looked great. (such as the highlighted hand positions, the Capo Ferro plates that manage to not have the other fencer's sword poking into view, etc.)

Jean,
Quote:
Very often the person trying to explain fencing will go from the basic explanation of terms to full speed jargon and loose the novice who hasn't yet absorbed the said jargon.

Don't I know it! I have had many teachers in many different things who've deterred students that way. My philosophy has always been to teach a person to love fencing first, teach them how to fence later once they want to learn. And teaching a person to love something first is much easier if they don't feel overwhelmed, something I try not to do (hopefully successfully. Wink )

David,
I've been thinking that I may need your help for the next one, along with Bob's. I'll talk to you on Wednesday.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can the person who voted "Fair" for this poll please write me a note and tell me what criteria you're using when you're voting? I ask for this feedback so that I can improve the quality of our efforts here, and so would find it valuable to hear your critique. Thanks!
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Rowe wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Bill;

Yes, being a student of his, I must say, he is very good at teaching. Happy He always has excellent explanations and practical applications, he really knows his stuff. I'm very glad to be a student of his.

I have to echo Jean and David. Bill is an outstanding instructor, extremely patient, very knowledgeable, and amazing to watch in action.

Bill Grandy wrote:

My philosophy has always been to teach a person to love fencing first, teach them how to fence later once they want to learn. And teaching a person to love something first is much easier if they don't feel overwhelmed, something I try not to do (hopefully successfully. Wink )

Coach Bill,

You certainly do that!
Have you thought about writing a book/training manual?

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill, Have you been brain washing your students?

Would everyone please stop giving Bill compliments. He's hard enough to deal with as it is! Razz

Luckily I've been able to build up a resistance to Bill's teaching techniques. Bill hasn't been able to teach me anything yet! Laughing Out Loud

Great article man. Really.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:

Luckily I've been able to build up a resistance to Bill's teaching techniques. Bill hasn't been able to teach me anything yet! Laughing Out Loud

That's because I require some amount of attention span. At least a little. Razz
Ross McCarthy

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Call to Arms : The Italian Rapier         Reply with quote

What a wonderful and informative article by Bill Grandy. Big Grin
R. McCarthy
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Ross! I'm really glad people have found it helpful.
Ross McCarthy

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Phoenix Metal : Pappenheimer         Reply with quote

How long has this Bill Grandy been around ?

You should be paying this guy big bucks for his reviews - so well written and informative !

Keep it up Bill - rivetting reading !!

R. McCarthy
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Metal : Pappenheimer         Reply with quote

Ross McCarthy wrote:
How long has this Bill Grandy been around ?

You should be paying this guy big bucks for his reviews - so well written and informative !

Keep it up Bill - rivetting reading !!

LOL! Nathan, I guess it's time for a raise! Happy

I really appreciate it, Ross. Though I must say, I'm pretty small time in these matters compared to some others. There are so many great scholars and practitioners out there who put me to shame with their knowledge, and I'm just incredibly thankful that things such as the internet have allowed me to learn from so many of them. I think I speak for everyone on the myArmoury staff when I say that this is why it's so important that we have these articles so accessible, so as to raise the knowledge platform.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill,

Very well put about how important these articles are. Being in an area where there is no such instructors
or training available (without driving for 3-4 hours one way), information such as this, is much appreciated and welcomed.

Bill
(kinda redundant..huh......)

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc

Last edited by William Goodwin on Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: repeating myself         Reply with quote

Again,

Coach Bill,
Have you thought about writing a book/training manual? You have a talent for teaching and writing.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Pamela,
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm going to leave the books to the big researcher/practitioners, like Christian Tobler and Bob Charron. I think anything I put down in a book would be largely redundant to what is already out there/in the works. Works like Christian's Fighting with the German Longsword or Bill Wilson's Art of Defense are already making these arts a little more accessible to those who don't have a teacher, and I know of a lot of other great things that are coming out soon (some of which I'm really excited to learn about myself!).
Adam Lloyd

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm only just getting interested in rapiers myself and the pappenheimer type of sword is starting to enter my radar too but despite this being outside of my knowledge or direct interest, I can look at the articles and tell you that they're very well written and very good materials. I can't understand the person voting that this is only a FAIR attempt. I'd like to ask him what other websites he visits so I can read their articles so I know what is truly quality
Thanks for providing these great articles myArmoury and to this week's author Bill Grandy

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Jan 17: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: