Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > An Oakeshott's Type XIV by Mateusz Sulowski.Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Alexis Bataille

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

type XIV make me think . they are shorter than previous swords and the percussion effect is lower . on the good side the tip is narrower for a better thrust and there is more mass around the grip and that make the sword more nimble . why this changes ? perhaps the additionnal plates protections limit greatly the bashing efficiency and only thrusting push work.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I looooooove a big, wide yet pointy blade. Just a hair bigger and with a longer grip, and that'd be my dream sword.

Only quibble (and a very minor quibble indeed) is that the pommel *appears* small relative to the blade width. Apart from that, there's pretty much nothing I would change Happy You're a lucky fellow!
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking again at your robust build Patrick, I'd like to see how you handle this custom A&A sword:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/files/blade_108.jpg

Its similar to the Tritonia but a bit longer and heftier. I'm 6' and ~190-200lbs and find it to be a challenge.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Given the blade is nearly three and a half inches wide, I think any pommel that didn't appear small in relation would be ridiculously large. That aesthetic does seem to be enhanced in photos but not that much when the sword is in hand.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Looking again at your robust build Patrick, I'd like to see how you handle this custom A&A sword:

Its similar to the Tritonia but a bit longer and heftier. I'm 6' and ~190-200lbs and find it to be a challenge.

I love to get me hands on that one. I'm 6' (well I used to be, on my last physical I was 5' 11", aging is an all around mother f'er) and currently weigh in at 274lbs. I'll be 50 in December, but I still give the twenty somethings a run for their money in the gym. I think I pay for it more when I get out of bed, but I don't tell them that. Big Grin

Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Given the blade is nearly three and a half inches wide, I think any pommel that didn't appear small in relation would be ridiculously large. That aesthetic does seem to be enhanced in photos but not that much when the sword is in hand.

That's true, it looks much more in proportion when I see it in your in-hand photo rather than by itself as I've mostly seen it on Mateusz's Facebook feed. I think it's just a matter of the proportions simply being so much off from a 'normal' sword that it looks strange.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
J.D. Crawford wrote:

I love to get me hands on that one. I'm 6' (well I used to be, on my last physical I was 5' 11", aging is an all around mother f'er) and currently weigh in at 274lbs. I'll be 50 in December, but I still give the twenty somethings a run for their money in the gym. I think I pay for it more when I get out of bed, but I don't tell them that. Big Grin

Maybe we can get that in your hands some day.

By the way I'm 52 and don't have good news for you: since turning 50 I've cracked a vertebrae, developed and recovered from frozen shoulder (which the Chinese aptly call '50 year old shoulder), and now have some damned infection that's been dragging me down for 2 months. Seems like the warranty expired on this model!
Harry D.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: An Oakeshott's Type XIV by Mateusz Sulowski.         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Yesterday, I took delivery of this beautiful beast of a sword. .........................

In conclusion, I find the quality of work to be excellent and the customer service to be outstanding. The quality in relation to price is more than fair. It's been a long time since a maker really impressed me on this level and Mateusz really delivered. He doesn't have a website but can be reached on facebook at Mateusz Solowski Swords.

Ok Patrick, you convinced me ! you have not steered me wrong yet, I love the Svante you sold me - with a wide Ty Cobb grip I am learning how to stop that monster on a dime. I love it.

I just sent the wire transfer to Mateusz Sulowski for the XVIIIc sword and scabbard that is for sale.. So, it's mine ! There seemed to be three in that group, yours, the XVIIIc, and the Munich --- I was drawn to the XVIIIc.. I will post again when I receive it.. I am not qualified to review it, but, I will cut some tatami with it and see how it does. Bon Courage !
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I feel your pain J.D. After nearly a quarter century in law enforcement I have the requisite bad back for my trouble along with trashed knees. I also have growing arthritis it my right wrist from an old injury that's start to interfere with my hobbies. They told me everything goes to hell when you turn 40. When that happened I was a believer, but 40's beginning to look like a cake walk. Eek!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: An Oakeshott's Type XIV by Mateusz Sulowski.         Reply with quote

Harry D. wrote:

Ok Patrick, you convinced me ! you have not steered me wrong yet, I love the Svante you sold me - with a wide Ty Cobb grip I am learning how to stop that monster on a dime. I love it.

I just sent the wire transfer to Mateusz Sulowski for the XVIIIc sword and scabbard that is for sale.. So, it's mine ! There seemed to be three in that group, yours, the XVIIIc, and the Munich --- I was drawn to the XVIIIc.. I will post again when I receive it.. I am not qualified to review it, but, I will cut some tatami with it and see how it does. Bon Courage !

I don't think you'll regret it. You're certainly starting off your collection in a big way! Please don't hesitate to give us your impressions when you receive it, we're all just amateurs.

Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
It's interesting that you should bring up the issue of labelling it a subtype, I've been thinking the same thing.

I've often felt that there should be one; a bastard XIV is something I keep coming back to as a possible future custom project, in a "never was, but wouldn't it have been cool" kind of sense. But yours really seems to demand its own place. I'd have had trouble believing those dimensions if I'd just seen them written, but the whole thing works beautifully in execution. Unexpected, and yet completely appropriate.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam,

I took note of the sword's proportions and compared them to my Albion Principe, so I knew it was going to be big. However, you really don't get a sense of these things until they're in hand. So when I pulled it out of the box and drew it from the scabbard, I was still surprised at how massive it is. The blade is a bit shorter, but wider than the Principe's. Strangely enough, the thickness and distal taper are nearly identical on both swords. Having now spent some time with it, it strikes me as a single handed sword that's trying really hard to be something more.

Harry D.

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: An Oakeshott's Type XIV by Mateusz Sulowski.         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

I don't think you'll regret it. You're certainly starting off your collection in a big way! Please don't hesitate to give us your impressions when you receive it, we're all just amateurs.

The Sulowski XVIIIc just arrived ! I Love it ! Thanks Patrick for your recommendation, and thanks to Sulowski for such a nice sword.. I do not want to change your thread, so, I will give my impressions in another post !

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > An Oakeshott's Type XIV by Mateusz Sulowski.Product Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: