Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This are the jackchains I´ve got this spring from Tomasz Tsamula, my favourite Armourmaker:

Attachment: 40.67 KB
DSC01393.JPG

16th Century reference
I thought I had an interesting reference to chains on sleeves. This is from Norfolk in 1584 with instructions for the raising of Light Horseman as part of the Counties Trained bands.

"....And allso it is by their honors thought expedient, that the ryder shoold have his dublet sleeves Stryked downe with
some small chcan or plate; and yff any man shal bee other-wyse dvsposed, to have his horseman armed with the curasse only of a corselet. "

There is also

"....furnished with a cote of plate, covered with crane colered fusten, with a red crosse both before and behind, a payer of sleves layd with plate, a sword and dagger, a case of pistolets, a light horsmans steff, and a skull covered with redd clothe. "

Normally a Light Horseman is armoured with either a Jack of Plate or the back and breast of a corslet and mail sleeves. This is the only reference I'm aware of as yet to chains or plate to protect the arms.
[ Linked Image ]

I see that they sell them still. :lol:

http://www.battlemerchant.com/product_info.ph...Stahl.html
http://www.gdfbglobal.com/late-middle-ages-armours.html
Sorry if this is old news, I saw some armorers from Europe calling this a "panzerbar". Is this the correct term if it was ever mentioned in the books?
Re: Jack Chains
Merv Cannon wrote:
Itis very interresting to see this earlier type and worn by a Knight as well. If anyone has other reference of these or similar, it would be greatly appreciated !

Sain Vincent panels, by Nuno Gonçalves, mid XVth century.
And they are royal family or high nobility...of course, perhaps it's due to the use of a lighter equipment in Iberia than in Northern Europe.

[ Linked Image ][/url]
Hello
So,when do you think the earliest use of these was?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: