Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What inspired these video game outfits? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
M Lankin

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: What inspired these video game outfits?         Reply with quote

Hello everyone. Lately I've been looking into this game called Bloodborne, and it has some really cool looking outfits in it. What I would like to know is what inspired these outfits. It looks a bit like 17th or 18th century for me. The hat is something I can't pinpoint though. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachment: 107.25 KB
image.jpg

Attachment: 99.27 KB
image.jpg

Attachment: 73.72 KB
image.jpg

Attachment: 39.74 KB
image.jpg

Attachment: 34.19 KB
image.jpg

Attachment: 34.62 KB
image.jpg

Attachment: 39.74 KB
image.jpg

Houston P.

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My initial impression when I saw that first picture was it looks exceptionally similar to Windlass' French highwayman outfit. http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-362-french-highwayman-coat.aspx The hat looks kind of like they took a tricorn hat and beat it up really bad... Anyway, hope that helps some.
...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. (‭Luke‬ ‭22‬:‭36‬)
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wouldn't be so hopeful as to think that video game developers look extensively into historical basis for their accoutrements.

Mostly games seem to draw from movies and a kind of historical-espue direction.

There is a game coming out soon enough called Kingdom Come: Deliverance- that seems to sort of, draw from history- which is neat to see.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, you show two different outfits with two different hats, there.

By and large the style seems to take inspiration from 18th and 19th Century fashion but with a strong modern faux-Victorian, gothic horror twist on everything. Look at, for example, the movie Le Pacte des Loups for a similar aesthetic with less of a fantastic bent.

Both outfits could reasonably be described as greatcoats with tricorne hats. The double-breasted coat is perhaps more Napoleonic, the open coat with the large cape more Victorian in style. One of the hats is a perfectly ordinary tricorne, a style of broad-brimmed hat with the brim folded up and fixed to the crown at three points, very popular all throughout the 18th Century; you've likely seen them in pirate movies if nowhere else. The other looks like a badly beat up tricorne with the back of the brim torn off, possibly in loose imitation of the feathered cap of Errol Flynn's Robin Hood (or Disney's Peter Pan)...

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The greatcoat seems to be a hugely dramatised ripoff of something like this: http://jas-townsend.com/greatcoat-p-747.html

Which is a pity. It's not as if the 18th century lacked really dramatic wardrobe items like the multi-caped coachman's greatcoat. Some of the variatons are shown here: http://www.nwta.com/courier/11-96/watchcoats.html
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My vote goes to Brotherhood of the Wolf, a rather fab film if you like your costume reality a bit augmented. Mentioned above in the original French of course.
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What inspired these video game outfits?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic