Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Photographic database of Arms and Armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl Koppeschaar

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Photographic database of Arms and Armour         Reply with quote

Today I have passed the 30,000 mark of uploaded photos to my Flickr album ‘Arms and Armour’. The album shows collections of over 130 museums, as well as museum storages and special exhibitions of arms and armour. I still have to upload another 2,500. So in the not too distant future I hope to pass the 32,500 mark.

The photographic database is meant for my personal study. But I gladly make it available for viewing to historians, collectors, re-enactors and modern sword smiths.

Especially collectors are encouraged to view and closely study the museum’s collections as there is a multitude of falsifications and bad composites on the market. In fact, I always recommend not to buy any piece without a sound provenance. Even a provenance to an ‘old collection’ might not be good enough. During the Victorian age (or the so called Historismus period) the demand for antique arms and armour was so high that many replicas were produced and offered for sale. Today private collectors are also lured into buying pieces that are very cleverly aged but in reality are no more than a few years old.

Also beware of auctions. Auction houses in the past, as well as those of today, want to make profit. Therefore there is no guarantee that their descriptions will be 100% accurate. You need to see and judge it for yourself or else hire an expert. And do check if you are allowed to return a lot should it turn out to be not as described.

My photograpic album can be visited at http://www.flickr.com/photos/98015679@N04/sets/
It is part of my web page http://www.astronet.nl/armsandarmour

Carl Koppeschaar
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Carl

That is an immense and amazing collection of images and resources you are compiling , and sharing..

Thanks so much for posting the links!

Cheers

GC
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although I was aware of your albums through the AAF, I took the liberty of cross-posting this in its entirety on the Historical Research Board at Armour Archive as well. You need more viewers, sir. Thank you for sharing this, and reminding us all of the excellent resource which you have provided.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your work!

I dare to ask: what is this thing?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98015679@N04/20921466468/in/album-72157658081333642/
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, what a tremendous resource. Thank you. There goes what remains of my spare time...

Quote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98015679@N04/20921466468/in/album-72157658081333642/

A strange sword! The caption in an earlier picture says:
"Very rare 'telescoping' sword that can be prolonged from one-hand length, from horseback, to two hand length, for defensive fighting on foot. Nationality uncertain, probably Germany (Nuremburg?), perhaps Italian (Brescia? Milan?) 1570-1630."

Quite a unique piece, would be interesting to feel the balance and weight for sure.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl has put together one of the single best resources available to the arms and armour community. What a stellar resource! Thank you for coming here and introducing it to the members of this site.

Cheers

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Carl Koppeschaar

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriele A. Pini wrote:

It is an oddity I recently saw in San Marino. Here is a strange one, too:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98015679@N04/10715462914/in/album-72157637275931613/

It is not a spring dagger but a spring rapier! What a pity that a large part of the blade has broken off.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: One of the best resources of all time         Reply with quote

One of the absolute best resources to use for looking at details and seeing collections. I have been following Carl's efforts for several years and he does an exceptional job of taking informative shots that can teach one about the object in ways that a straight view will not.

Thank you for the tremendous effort you have put into this collection. It has truly been one of the best things about the net ever :-)

Craig
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
Wow, what a tremendous resource. Thank you. There goes what remains of my spare time...

Quote:

"Very rare 'telescoping' sword that can be prolonged from one-hand length, from horseback, to two hand length, for defensive fighting on foot. Nationality uncertain, probably Germany (Nuremburg?), perhaps Italian (Brescia? Milan?) 1570-1630."

Quite a unique piece, would be interesting to feel the balance and weight for sure.

I am reminded of such rapiers in a thread elsewhere
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.p...nding-Hilt

Cheers

GC
Raman A

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been using your resource to study the subject for years now, I just wanted to thank you for the time and effort. It's truly an amazing collection of photographs. Glad to see you on the forum.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What an amazing resource. Carl, thank you for your time and effort spent on this.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been regularly looking through Carl's albums for some time now, and always find something new and strange or exciting in photos that I have looked at many times before. The collection is invaluable--thank you sir!
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Gary Gibson

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl, many thanks for your website and wonderful museum oriented photo album collection. Your website has been extremely helpful for arms & armor museum travel planning (even navigating by automobile!) and your photo albums are a great resource.
Gary Gibson
Member Schola San Marco, San Diego, CA
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A big thanks from Me too Carl, you are very lucky to have made these trips and thanks so much for sharing!

Griff

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Jesse Belsky
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let me add my thanks...Carl, your photos have been an invaluable resource, and a tremendous help in expanding my understanding of the range and depth of medieval craftsmanship. Even for museums I've visited in person and photographed myself, its wonderful to be able to see them again through the eye of your excellent camera work. I very much appreciate your attention to detail, and your amazing and exhaustive coverage!

thanks,
Jesse
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 19 Sep, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Photographic database of Arms and Armour         Reply with quote

Here is some kind of strange weapon I encountered but now kept at the Vasa museum in Stockholm, the Swedish capital:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98015679@N04/9420398455/in/album-72157634902660150/

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 19 Sep, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Photographic database of Arms and Armour         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Here is some kind of strange weapon I encountered but now kept at the Vasa museum in Stockholm, the Swedish capital:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98015679@N04/9420398455/in/album-72157634902660150/

That's an example of a combination weapon. In that particular case, it's an 17th century axe and pistol combination. There are many, many surviving examples.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:

Quote:

There's one in the Royal Armouries in Leeds too. I don't really believe in the horseback/foot theory though.

And thanks for the database, Carl. Very useful.

Fab

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Photographic database of Arms and Armour
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic