Gathering research: 12th century Italian shield.
I need a new shield for my late 12th century Siculo Norman portrayal and have come across this shield across a few times. I'm looking for more information about it. I've poked around online a good bit in English and Italian but haven't found much.

[ Linked Image ]

ca. 1170 - 'Easter Candle' (Nicoḷ di Angelo, Pietro Vassalletto), Basilica di San Paolo fuori le mura, Roma, Italy

[ Linked Image ]

Church of St. Giustina in Padua, sometime 12th c. The church was sacked and hit by an earthquake in 1110 and 1117, this is presumably part of the reconstruction.

[ Linked Image ]

Osprey did a reasonable depiction of the type seen in The Normans.

I haven't seen any reproductions or any discussion of the type before. Is anyone on here aware of further information?
Just because it is raised in a sculpture doesn't mean that it was raised in real life. How else do you put details in unpainted stone except for raising/lowering certain elements?
assuming that the stone was never painted of course. It could be raised gesso on the shield. It could be simply decorative metal work (gilded tin? silvered iron?) or it could be more structural and reinforcing. It could be the sculptor having some fun or wanting to depict the knight as standing out. He's certainly at the height of equipment at that period.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: