Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Identifying this Harness Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Andrew MJ

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Identifying this Harness         Reply with quote

Hi, not sure where this belongs but this seems like the best place.

I bought this armour on craigslist recently and have had trouble placing it in its era. The breastplate doesn't look like a reproduction of anything specific, but I could be wrong. After looking at hundreds of pictures on the forums and on pinterest, flickr, etc. I still can't place the breastplate.

Is it a composite of different eras or is it all relatively from the same period? 1400-1500? I'm trying to narrow down what type of helmet to buy!

Thanks!
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That harness was made by armstreet, it was their first generation Gothic harness. It was not accurate but their current second generation is a lit better.
Andrew MJ

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Edward. So my next question is: What helmet would you guys recommend?

If this is loosely based on an armour style, then a gothic sallet would go with the "gothic" style?

A klappvisier bascinet is from the transitional period of armour correct? So that wouldn't fit.

Thanks for your help! I'm pretty new to this and finding it all fascinating.

EDIT: So I've been wondering which of these would be a good option.

http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/GDFB/GDFB_E...14Ga_Large
I prefer this as it comes with a Bevor.
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ace+Sallet
The other sallets on KoA are 18 gauge. I intend to batter this around a bit! Happy
http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/GDFB/GDFB_H...ium_AB0423
Are most bascinets from the transitional period? Or would some fit with this armour?
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Tue 01 Sep, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a sallet or armet would be the way to go.
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Andrew MJ

PostPosted: Tue 01 Sep, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have my eye on a sallet. An Armet could be interesting. A little more difficult to find in Canada. Thanks Mark.
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Tue 01 Sep, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.battlemerchant.com/Helmets/Battle-...:5320.html
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

btw, I only suggested an armet as I thought aesthetically it might work. Should be a sallet if you want to be more accurate as its trying to be a bit 'gothic' or N European.
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Andrew MJ

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks. Battle merchant has some great prices. Looks like decent quality, too.

Yea, I'd like to stick as close as possible to period accurate helmets. As much as that's possible anyways, lol.

EDIT: Ok, this one looks awesome. Fully articulated bevor, riveted to the inside of the helmet. But no liner. Is a padded cap a good substitute? http://www.battlemerchant.com/Helmets/Late-Mi...:3180.html

Last edited by Andrew MJ on Wed 02 Sep, 2015 8:21 am; edited 3 times in total
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The armet is period accurate, but not regionally. But prefer them for looks and use.
Andrew MJ

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok good to know. Yea, I think I'd like to be regionally accurate as well, not that Armets don't look just as awesome if not more so. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: I plan on sparring using this armour, so is there much of a difference functionally between the sallet and armet? In other words, which would be better to keep my head from ringing? Happy
Andrew MJ

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also, I don't have an arming jacket or gambeson. Having difficulty finding one that's suitable and will hold up well.
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many jousters and foot combat exponents worldwide use these. I have many and swear by them as the only versions worth considering in that price range.
[url]
http://historicenterprises.com/index.php?main...cts_id=713

[/url]

Last edited by Mark Griffin on Wed 02 Sep, 2015 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But have a care to work out what mail system you are using before plunging in to doublet purchase. Lots of new theories and research out there so before asking HE to make something with loads of point holes in, make sure you need to.
Andrew MJ

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, yea, I saw that in another thread. Pretty amazing work they do. I will definitely consider it. Would you recommend the linen or cotton version?
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have both and they all stand up pretty well. My principle jousting one is cotton and is only starting to wear out after 6 or so tears of very hard use.

I feel the cotton one breathes better and is easier to clean but its totally down to what the cloth is. Linen would be the only choice for living history purposes of course.

Andrew MJ

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good to know. Yea, it looks great. Really considering it. The price hurts though, Can't imagine a higher price range than that! Laughing Out Loud
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its incredibly reasonable for a bespoke garment.

But there again i joust so have the mentality that if its not right you'll probably be injured or worse. Each and every part of what you wear and use has to be 100% or forget it. Buy cheaper and you'll be buying again very soon most likely.

Andrew MJ

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great point. Yea, I can't imagine a cheaper one being of any use whatsoever if it tears after a few hits. That just won't do.
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its not only the strength, its the movement and comfort. Those have had some serious testing in the field so work.
Andrew MJ

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, I swear the price just went up on that sallet from 175,99 Euro to 199,99 Euro.

http://www.battlemerchant.com/Helmets/Late-Mi...:3180.html

I think the VAT was added in for everything. Maybe.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Identifying this Harness
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: