Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How in tarnation do I get this pommel nut loose? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: How in tarnation do I get this pommel nut loose?         Reply with quote

I bought a Depeeka Wood Hilt Celtic Sword (www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH4303N...tic+Sword+) with what seemed to be a fairly simple brass or bronze pommel nut threaded on there. I was planning to unscrew the pommel nut, remove the blade, and replace it with an Albion Bare Blades Celtic Longsword. Unfortunately, the pommel nut seems to have had another piece of brass epoxied or hammered on there to cap it. My wrenches won't get a grip on that part, so they can't grip the pommel nut, so I can get the blasted thing to come loose normally. I've had to resort to using a drill with a cobalt bit to shear away the pommel nut and its cap. I'm not happy about taking that approach, because it's not only time-consuming, it's damaging the grip.

See attached photos for the "progress" I've made so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make some actual progress towards getting the nut removed so I can remove the blade?

Thanks in advance.

Attachment: 169.28 KB
sword hilt 1.png

Attachment: 190.23 KB
sword hilt 2.png

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Andrew Gill

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't be certain (the photos are a little blurry), but it looks like a brass capped nut (like a car wheel nut) to me - in which case it is one solid piece of brass, and you're not going to get the cap off. Assuming I'm correct in this, and you can't remove the nut using a vice-grips or something similar, you could try cutting a deep groove in it (though take care not to cut all the way into the tang!) with a hacksaw and/or needle file, then unscrewing it with a straight screwdriver. You'll have to replace it with a suitably sized nut afterwards, of course - you could always try to find a standard capped nut that will fit. Otherwise if you have a dremel (or a small angle grinder and very steady hands) you could just grind the whole nut off.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would email Deepeeka and see what they say.

Honestly though it's not that hard to shape wood... I would just destroy the wood pommel and see what's under there. But I'm a woodworker, so that's easy for me to say Happy
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew Gill wrote:
I can't be certain (the photos are a little blurry), but it looks like a brass capped nut (like a car wheel nut) to me - in which case it is one solid piece of brass, and you're not going to get the cap off. Assuming I'm correct in this, and you can't remove the nut using a vice-grips or something similar, you could try cutting a deep groove in it (though take care not to cut all the way into the tang!) with a hacksaw and/or needle file, then unscrewing it with a straight screwdriver. You'll have to replace it with a suitably sized nut afterwards, of course - you could always try to find a standard capped nut that will fit. Otherwise if you have a dremel (or a small angle grinder and very steady hands) you could just grind the whole nut off.

I might try your suggestion of either a hacksaw or a dremel. I'd prefer not to cut the tang just because I hate waste, but I have a full-tang Albion blade ready to replace the old blade, so I won't weep if the old tang is damaged.

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
I would email Deepeeka and see what they say. Honestly though it's not that hard to shape wood... I would just destroy the wood pommel and see what's under there. But I'm a woodworker, so that's easy for me to say

I will try e-mailing Deepeeka, since I am definitely not a woodworker, but this is fairly hard wood, and I'm working on a budget here with minimal power tools and half a dozen other problems -- scrapping it and replacing it might cost more time and effort than I have available.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Jesse Belsky
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Carl, the pictures on KOA show a nut that still has some facets from being a hexagonal cap nut. Yours might have been ground down further. If you can get a good grip on it with vice grips and it still won't budge, you are most likely fighting epoxy. If you can heat the nut up (candle flame maybe?) and warm the epoxy without damaging the wood of the grip, you may be able to unscrew it with a good set of vice grips.

However, looking at how that nut meets the grip, i wouldn't be surprised if the whole hilt/grip assembly was epoxied in place. That's going to make it hard to get the blade out without destroying any of the wood components. But I wish you luck!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How in tarnation do I get this pommel nut loose?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic