Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Probably a reproduction schiavona. Worth the price? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Daniel Bassi

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Probably a reproduction schiavona. Worth the price?         Reply with quote

In Argentina it's very hard to find swords that aren't late 19th century military sabres, not even modern reproductions. So I got very excited when I found this sword: http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-56921...-sable-_JM , the seller claims it's a 17/18th century scottish sword. It does look like a schiavona, not sure if it's authentic because:
-the patina looks too uniform, specially inside the hilt
-the pommel looks weird, I haven't seen anyone with a ridge in the middle like that one
-overall the hilt seems to be in a suspiciously good condition
-the price, it's in argentine pesos so that should be around U$D800 which I think is a normal price for good reproductions

I don't have experience in antiques so I can't recongnize the markings on the blade.

Assuming it's a reproduction, do you think it's worth the price? Or will it fall apart in my hands?
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: schiavonna         Reply with quote

Certainly a schiavonna and I have no idea where the seller might have got the idea that it could be scottish. The blade is nicely pitted and maybe someone can make out what the maker's punch marks are on the blade. If you do decide on a repro, take a look at Cervenka, he even offers ''aged'' or patinated finish which is quite close to the picture you posted. One thing for sure, by claiming it was scottish, the seller has made it clear that he has no idea as to the provenance of what he is selling.
Bon coeur et bon bras
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sword has nothing to do with Scotland. It's a poorly made schiavona. It's clearly modern made and looks to have been created in an attempt to fool somebody into thinking it's an antique. It's not priced as an antique would be, so that is a good sign. It's certainly not a worthless item, but at $800 US that seems high for it in my opinion. I can see it being worth that value for others, but I don't find it appealing at all.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Daniel Bassi

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The seller certainly has no idea of what he sells, like this "WW2 japanese sabre" http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-56785...undial-_JM which is actually a cheap chinese copy of a real chinese army copy of a type 32 gunto, and it's a shame because he has the largest collection of antique swords for sale in that website.
Still, beside the ugly pommel the rest of the swords looks quite nice to me so I'll try to bargain it. What makes it so obvious that it's a reproduction? If I can convince the seller that it's actually a reproduction there's a greater chance I can get a better price.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Bassi wrote:
What makes it so obvious that it's a reproduction?

There is literally not one quality about it that looks like an antique schiavona. Everything is off. If it was something he believed to be antique, he'd be selling it for $2500-4500 US, which is what most antique schiavonae are selling for now days. At $800 US he knows it's not legit.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Daniel Bassi

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

About the markings on the blade, I found this: http://atkinson-swords.com/marks-and-stamps/m...chief.html , comparing it to the markings on the blade I think it matches with makers from Toledo; one of the marks is a clover or a star which matches makers #37-43 and the other seems to be a shield with a T and a spot above it, which matches several other makers from Toledo. Does this make sense to you? Maybe it explains the weird shape of the pommel and the poor construction of the sword. That may also explain how this sword made its way to this country.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sword hilt is not an antique. The blade is likely not an antique either. That's what makes sense to me.
Daniel Bassi

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Definitely not an antique, I'm just trying to figure out where was this reproduction made or where does it pretends to came from. Maybe one of those toledo reproductions...
Anyway I'll look no further into this.

Thanks!
Tomek Kowmal Ciupinski
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the blade of the sword traces of acid, artificial aging.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I swear that looks like an old Del Tin blade. I can't remember which model though.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recognize that basket from somewhere..just can't remember exactly. But I am quite positive that is from a modern repro-line. I'll do some digging and see if I can find it
There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Probably a reproduction schiavona. Worth the price?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic