Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Vendor Refund Policies Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Vendor Refund Policies         Reply with quote

Is there an industry standard on what portions of a sword purchase are refundable?

I recently bought a sword that was damaged in transit. The guard was knocked askew and there was major league rust on the blade. I've received swords from many vendors and I must say that this one was the most badly packed that I have come across - no packing or protection, no immobilization, knocking about free in what was basically a cardboard sleeve. The vendor did say that this was only the second time in their experience that one of their items had been damaged during shipping.

I sent the sword back, paying for shipping and insurance. I received a refund from the vendor for the cost of the sword only. I did not get the $43.00 shipping cost from the vendor to me, or the $43.00 shipping from me back to the vendor. It seems to me that I should have been refunded at least half of that $86.00.

What has been your experience when you have been in a similar situation? Is there an industry standard about whether shipping costs should be part of the refund?
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suspect that there is no industry standard.

In my experience, I've had 1 sword & 2 knives arrived damaged from 3 different vendors. I have never asked for a complete refund but each time the item was replaced. However I was not reimbursed the returned shipping for any of the replacements.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason, when the replacements were sent to you, did you pay shipping costs for that?
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's my understanding that, for retail sales in general (not just swords, etc.), shipping is not assumed to be refunded. There *are* vendors that will refund shipping, or send you a return label so that you don't have to pay return shipping. But it's a courtesy, not a requirement.

Once I received the wrong item from a company (a tube of paint), and they simply sent the correct item and told me not to bother sending the other one back. It wasn't worth the cost and trouble. Swords are not tubes of paint, obviously!

Best option is to check the vendor's return policy before you order, and ask if it's not clear.

That said, the kind of packaging and damage you describe sounds like corporate suicide!

Good luck!

Matthew
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Jason, when the replacements were sent to you, did you pay shipping costs for that?

I did not. I only paid to return the items.
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

EU consumers should be aware of their rights when buying online.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping...dex_en.htm

Quote:
In the EU, for contracts concluded as of 13 June 2014, you have the right to withdraw from your online purchase as well as from purchases made elsewhere than in shops (e.g. from a salesman on your doorstep; by phone or mail order) within 14 days.

This “cooling off” period expires 14 days after the day you received your goods. However, if this period expires on a non-working day, your deadline is extended till the next working day.

You can choose to withdraw from your order for any reason within this timeframe - even if you simply changed your mind.

To exercise your right of withdrawal, you must unequivocally inform the trader of your decision to withdraw from the purchase. You can do this, for example, by adding a written statement to the goods that you are returning by post, or by sending a fax or e-mail. It is not enough to just send the goods back. The trader must provide you with a model withdrawal form, which you can use to inform him/her of your withdrawal but you don’t have to use it.

The trader must give you a refund within 14 days from receipt of your withdrawal notification, but can delay refunding you if he/she has not received the goods back or evidence that you have sent them back. This refund must include any shipping charges you paid when you made your purchase. However, the trader may charge you additional delivery costs if you specifically requested non-standard (express) delivery. You will have to pay the costs of returning the goods to the trader.

I do not know if this also applies to commissioned work but these laws do protect you when dealing with big online retail sites. Initial shipment cost should be refunded, cost of shipping it back to the retailer I do not know.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Vendor Refund Policies
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic