Hanwei Song Sword -Project done, thanks everyone
Hi, I have a Hanwei Song Sword - SH2074N in my possession. It is a great sword, but has a very minor issue. The pommel is just a very little bit loose and moves under light pressure about .5 inches.

Now I know nothing about Chinese swords. Does anyone know how the handle is constructed? Is the pommel screwed on? If not, any ideas for a quick fix?

Robert

Last edited by Robert Muse on Sat 27 Jun, 2015 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
The style of the sword looks like a liuyedao with a wider tip resembling an ox-tail dao.

To secure the furniture on my Chinese dao, I usually just tighten the nut at the end, but not too hard as that would crack the wooden handle. I'm no expert when it comes to the construction of Chinese swords; however, this is one of the things I did when I was cleaning up my shuang dao made by Shen Guanglong.
Sword
Thanks Luke, that makes sense. except......... it has a tassel loop at the back. I suspect it may be a screw, but is rather weak looking and I rather afraid to place much pressure on it unless I can be sure it is a screw.
Try contacting Blake Pogue at CAS Iberia US in Tennessee. He's their leading rep here in the States. He can probably tell you what to do, or perhaps you'll even get a free tune-up on your sword. Couldn't hurt to fire off an email via their website.
Nice sword.

I think you are right, that it is a nut. I would try gently with a crescent wrench/adj spanner on the flats of the ring, not a rod through it. There may be another nut under the pommel cap that secures the grip. That would explain the cap rotating/floating. You might alternately squirt glue if the nut seems stuck and too fragile but give it a shot with a wrench. Think in terms of inch pound torque instead of inch pound torque. If it is a typical 6mm thread, it was never meant to take much force during assembly but Hanwei does like to glue stuff.

Cheers

GC

https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/thread/21760/hanwei-song-sword
Sword
Thanks for the input. I will give Hanwei an email before I try anything too extreme. The "nut" seems pretty tight and there is practically no seam between the parts to flow glue in.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: