Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mario Patzke wrote:
While this piece does not fit my 15th century kit, I could not resist taking it of James G. Elmslies hands at the RL Scott conference in Glasgow, especially after it had been admired and praised by Peter Johnsson himself. If he would like to take a closer look at it now, he'll have to approach me. :p

I just HAD to have it!

A lovely piece I might very well base a future 13th kit on. Colours and heraldry feel very right.

I was so tempted by that piece. I almost took the plunge. Glad it went to a good home.
Finished this one last summer: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=282185

Attachment: 118.69 KB
daggersheath_550.gif

Attachment: 118.05 KB
daggerobverse_122.gif

Attachment: 131.03 KB
daggereverse_255.gif

Attachment: 131 KB
daggersheathdetail_496.gif

Here is a Franken-dagger. An amalgam of two MRL pieces. The modified crosshilt and pommel from a sword hilted dagger, and the blade of a poignard. The blade has been shortened to 13.75" to remove the ricasso. It measures 19.5" over-all.
The pommel was reduced in size (1.5" diam) and thickness. And the crosshilt shortened to 3" across.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

-Terry
Chad Arnow wrote:

I was so tempted by that piece. I almost took the plunge. Glad it went to a good home.

Yes, thank you, I will take good care of it - And hopefully some better photographs sometime!

I'm afraid I can resist anything... but temptation.
And in addition to that, I have no sense of self-preservation, so I -had- to take the plunge! :lol:

However, James did mention that he's planning to do just one more, an exact repro (Even done in proper wrought iron for the hilt guard) of the one in the Met, and then he'll be done with that style of dagger, at least for another 5 or so years.

@Terry & Sean
Lovely pieces - Proper quillons always look so... elegant.
I have only one quillon dagger, from Albion.
Here is a matching scabbard/sheath from DBK for my Albion Knight sword and Arn dagger.

Attachment: 167.84 KB
albionknighthmc1152_124.jpg

Here is the Windlass Soldier's Dagger. It has been around since 2006, which is a long life for one of their products. It is a good piece for its price, especially the one I paid for it as a Deal of the Day item. It seems pretty sturdy and solid, though, like many of Windlass's daggers, it has a screw-on pommel. It will be good for my purpose, which will be as a stage prop.

the leather scabbard is adequate. I don't know why they chose brown instead of matching the black grip, but it's no big deal.

The blade is 9.75 inches long and 1.375 wide at the guard.

Attachment: 96.81 KB
SD3s.jpg

Attachment: 98.14 KB
SD1s.jpg

Attachment: 98.21 KB
SD4s.jpg

Attachment: 98.37 KB
SD5s.jpg

I have posted this elsewhere, but here it is again - a very attractive 14th Century dagger from Arms and Armor, which looks like a number of items on this thread, especially the one by Peter Johnsson.

Attachment: 97.92 KB
dagger1s.jpg

Attachment: 99.02 KB
dagger4s.jpg

Attachment: 99.17 KB
dagger7s.jpg

Here's one I just received from Josh Davis last week. It's based on a piece on loan to the Met.

Attachment: 31.33 KB
daggerpost.jpg

This is kind of a quillon dagger, so I'll add it, too. It's Tod Cutler's new Antenna Quillon Dagger.

Attachment: 37.17 KB
antennapost.jpg

I bought The same antennae dagger during Tod’s 4th of July sale.

I have to say this is the best $100 dagger I’ve ever bought.

Attachment: 16.49 KB
2019-07-15 15-07-25.jpg

Lloyd Winter wrote:

I did the same thing, though it’s weird to shop a 4th of July sale from a British seller. :) I agree about the quality. The quality you get for the price is hard to beat.
Great additions as well Chad.

You've been busy of late!

Is the Tod's cutler dagger peened?
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Great additions as well Chad.

You've been busy of late!

Is the Tod's cutler dagger peened?

Yes, all tod cutler pieces are peened.
These aren't quillon daggers but they are Tod Cutler. I got the baselard from his July 4th sale. Great daggers at a reasonable price. Rondel, Baselard, Dudgeon.

Attachment: 98.87 KB
three2s.jpg

Here's my only quillon dagger to date. Made by me

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Björn Gísli Gylfason wrote:

Nice work! Is that the one I saw over at r/Bladesmith?
Nathan A. wrote:
Björn Gísli Gylfason wrote:

Nice work! Is that the one I saw over at r/Bladesmith?

Thanks! And yes it's the same one
Chad Arnow wrote:
Lloyd Winter wrote:

I did the same thing, though it’s weird to shop a 4th of July sale from a British seller. :) I agree about the quality. The quality you get for the price is hard to beat.

So he sent at least three to the States during that sale! I got it with the brown sheath, which I found to be nicely, yet simply, decorated. I was surprised a little by its size, but it conforms to the dimensions of its extant inspiration. I have moderately sized mitts and it fits me perfectly - a really big guy might have to wrap a pinkie.
Here are my current 3 quillon daggers. From top to bottom:

Arms and Armor Classic/Crusader dagger hybrid
Tod's Workshop Spiderweb quillon dagger
Davis Reproductions crusade-era dagger

[ Linked Image ]
Hardly medieval but certainly antique....I suppose these qualify as quillon daggers.....a style which seems to have become very long lasting indeed.

Attachment: 149.58 KB
daggers.jpg

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: