Made a large seax
This is my second sharp blade, a large broken back seax.

Blade length is 45 cm (17.7 inches)
Hilt is 20 cm (7.8 inches)

It had a 20 inch blade originally, but I ground the fuller too deep and broke through in one spot, so I had to cut away roughly a 2 inch section of the blade. There was cursing. Lots of it.

6 mm thick at the clip, which is the thickest and broadest part of the blade. Its is a full "V" grind from back to edge with a deep fuller.

Its made from Nablo 5026 spring steel. (About the same as 1060)

The grip is birch, wrapped with 0.6 mm steel thread, twisted in a herringbone pattern.

Mild steel bolster and pommel.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

(I have no idea why the pics show up upside down on the forum. They are the other way round in the direct links in my browser)
Nice! I like the profile of the blade and the handle is very attractive too.
Good job, I like it. How did you do the fuller?
Thanks, Juan and Lukas. :)

I made the fuller with an angle grinder. I clamped a bar of steel along the blade and used that as a ruler to guide the grinding wheel, then smoothed out the groove with a piece of round file, and lastly sandpaper. It was by far the most time consuming part of the project. The file left some rather deep scratches in the fuller, and sanding them out took forever.
I like it! Was the wire wrap hard to do? Looks very clean. Definitely a clean piece all around but brawn enough to back up.
J. Nicolaysen wrote:
I like it! Was the wire wrap hard to do? Looks very clean. Definitely a clean piece all around but brawn enough to back up.

The wrap looks cleaner in the pics than it really is. :) Especially at the pommel end. I find it quite difficult to keep everything tight and even, particularly when it comes to the ending. I used about 40 meters of wire to cover the entire grip.
At first look I waas going to say ' how could you ruin a nice looking braid with a nylon grip' and then read your description. Excellent job!
Excellent job, Einar,
it has a very nice flow to it,
the wire wrap looks good,
very nice lines, well done, :cool:
Frank Anthony Cannarella wrote:
At first look I waas going to say ' how could you ruin a nice looking braid with a nylon grip' and then read your description. Excellent job!

:lol: Yeah the pictures dont really show off the wire very well. Its an incredibly grippy surface to hold, actually. I always thought they would be kind of slippery before I actually made a wire wrapped grip.
Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Excellent job, Einar,
it has a very nice flow to it,
the wire wrap looks good,
very nice lines, well done, :cool:

Thank you. The blade profile is very inspired by an Owen Bush blade that I own.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: