Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Del Tin 2158 - Any pictures of the original? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. K. Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Del Tin 2158 - Any pictures of the original?         Reply with quote

I have always loved the Del Tin 2158 http://www.deltin.net/2158.htm . Does anyone have any pictures of historical examples of this type of sword? Or able to point me to any links? For that matter, does this sword fit into Oakeshott's typology? I could see perhaps a type XVII or XVIIIb. Thanks in advance.

Edit: NM, my google fu was weak but I have resolved that deficiency.
Jonathan Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.K.B.

The 2158 is a superb sword, probably one of Fulvio's best designs.

I'm quoting Chad Arnow here from a post dated 9th April 2008,
Quote:
The hilt is based on a sword pictured in Boccia's Armi Bianchi Italiane, but the Del Tin's blade is simplified from the original

I'm hoping he can post a picture!

Re: Oakeshott, you might argue it is similar to XIX.10 in Records but the blade lacks any fullering and probably lies outwit Oakeshott's typology.

I have a few photo's of mine, taken by chance this weekend past. It is probably the most expensive 2158 there is as Albion un-hilted it, cut off the welded tang rod and forge welded a new tang section on, replaced the grip with something hard and tightly bound with waxed oxblood cord plus, if I remember rightly, epoxied it in place too. Needless to say, it is rock solid.

After 11 years it remains one of my favourites, definitely a keeper. I bought mine after seeing them used in the two-handed sword demonstrations at the Royal Armouries and in some clips of John Waller wielding one in a documentary on the sword.

I have always had a soft spot for DT's, despite their detractors. For the first time, this weekend, I had to polish off some tiny orange spots on the blade which says something for the abilities of DT's to resist rust.

Hope somebody can offer some photo's as requested...

Attachment: 204.57 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 236.16 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 142.83 KB
[ Download ]
J. K. Byrnes

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures. That is definitely a good looking sword. I had one back in the late 90's, always regretted letting it go. I imagine that the work Albion did set you back a pretty penny, but it looks great, and addresses what is the largest concern with me buying another, the thin tang on the long grip.

Cheers!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like that Albionized hilt. Some years ago, when Albion was selling some Del Tins, they offered a rehilting service for them. The main thing they did was to replace the original wood grip with their typical stabilized birch grip. At that time at least, Del Tin was using some interior wood in their grips, and the sword suffered because of it. Those Albionized swords got an "A" put before them. So Jonathan's sword is an ADT2158
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Del Tin 2158 - Any pictures of the original?         Reply with quote

I am not sure where to find the original sword from where the Del Tin 2158 is based on.
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Del Tin 2158 - Any pictures of the original?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic