Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Rank countries by contribution to HEMA Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Which countries have contributed the most to HEMA?
USA and Cananda
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Scandinavian Countries (Sweden, Denmark, Norway etc.)
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
France
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Spain and Portugal
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Austria and Switzerland
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Eastern European Countries ( Hungary, Poland, Czech Rep. etc)
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Germany
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Russia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Greece and Macedonia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Australia and New Zealand
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
UK
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

Rim Andries

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Rank countries by contribution to HEMA         Reply with quote

Hello fellas,

I decided to make this poll, because I have asked myself this question many times before and I am curious to see what you all think. So here goes:

The HEMA scene has come a long way since it started a few decades ago. I for one am absolutely thrilled to see it growing at the rate it does.

This would not be possible without the endless and passionate contribution of many many people around the globe. However, without taking away from the efforts of anyone or anybody, HEMA has been especially popular in some countries whilst others are -thankfully- playing catch up.

So which countries and its members have been at the frontline of HEMA revival in your opinion? This can mean and/or include anything as long as it adds to the world of HEMA. Think: published articles, sharing of authentic treatises, talented teachers and competitors, bladesmiths catering to the wishes of practioners. You name it.

I have included as many countries in the list as I could (based on the club finder provided by HEMA Alliance), but it is possible that your choice (or motherland) is not among them (edit: i forgot italy, i don't know how that happened) If that is the case then I am truly sorry. (i mean that italy) Please do not take it personal (please don't italy) . There is a limit to the amount of options in the poll. Just let me know which country you are missing in the list and why.

Also, if you wish, please elaborate on your choice. Feel free to add honorable mentions as well. Cheers!

Sir Dreamin'

Last edited by Rim Andries on Tue 17 Mar, 2015 1:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I voted USA. Because strangely enough I feel like they were the ones who got the ball rolling. And they keep it rolling still. With companies like Albion and Arms and Armor. Competitions like Longpoint. Websites like myArmoury (though strictly not HEMA orientated and world wide by nature). People like Clements -love him or hate him, you can not deny how important this man was and is to HEMA- and documentaries like Reclaiming the Blade. The article in NY Times was also great in terms of advertising.

Very close second comes Scandinavia. And I mean very close! In particular Sweden: Peter Johnsson, Axel Pettersson, Swordfish... need I say more?

Third comes Eastern Europe. Many great smiths and competitors. Poland comes to mind.

UK and Benelux complete the top five in my opinion. England and the Netherlands should get the honours.

Sir Dreamin'
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I voted USA & Canada, for many of the same reasons as the OP. My impression is that Germany and Poland should be next, since there's been a lot of transcription s and interpretive work on the art done there. That having been said, I mostly keep track of the Liechtenauer tradition, so I have a less clear idea about those who do Fiore, Vadi, Italian rapier or Spanish rapier. (Yes, I realize I have greatly oversimplified things by leaving out the English tradition and individuals like Henri de Sanct Didier, but I am only speaking in broad, rough strokes).
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for voting y'all.

Thank you Craig for voting and posting.

I am a little surprised to see zero love for eastern european countries though.

Anyway, thanks and keep the votes coming so we can get a clearer picture with a little more weight to it Wink

Sir Dreamin'
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And oh,

Heads up on the category "others":

I had to include this final option because there was not enough room to mention the countries separately.

Countries to consider in this category are:

South America with Mexico, Argentina and Brazil among others.

Asia with Japan, Taiwan and South Korea among others.

And countries like Italy (note to self: do not forget Italy, duh!!), South Africa and Israël.

They all seem to be the home of at least one HEMA club so they deserve to be mentioned.

Cheers.

Sir Dreamin'
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just can't manage to think of this stuff in terms of countries. You could probably pinpoint things that happened somewhere in particular, but none of them happened in a vaccuum and I would hardly say that any one country is responsible.

Just look at the competitive side of HEMA. I don't know when the first HEMA competition happened. The Swedish event Swordfish certainly did a lot to foster the full contact approach that is now common. That said much of the gear that is used originated in Eastern European countries. Longpoint had a strong media impact, but the ideas behind it are hardly 'American'. And you can't really split Swordfish from the earlier European events either.

Looking at any facet of HEMA you get the same problem. Developments happen somewhere and are imported very quickly to the other side of the world, adapted, and spread back. I don't see it as people being ahead in one particular place. Just different groups digging in different directions.

Maybe the origins of HEMA could be traced back to specific locations, but it's likely you'd find several roots all over the world.

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course you are correct Vincent.

Things rarely happen in a vacuum. HEMA is no exception.

But one could argue that some countries and its people have labored at this longer, harder and better than others. Just like Brazil has been of greater importance to football/soccer than let's say Suriname. Or Germany has been more significant than for instance Norway. Sure, comparing France and Argentina will be difficult just to name two, but I think you get the idea: we can still point towards the bigger ones, without saying they did it alone or taking away from the little ones. There is no shame in that I think.

Anyway, for now... UK is leading the way!

Sorry, I could not resist. Wink

Thanks for posting.

Sir Dreamin'
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 18 Mar, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am curious- for those who voted for the UK, what are your reasons?

I can see that the UK had an early and crucial contribution during the Victorian era, under Egerton Castle, Alfred Hutton, Richard Burton, and the like. They certainly laid the foundation for later reconstruction of historic European martial arts, even if the later efforts took nearly a century to develop.

However, I am not sure how much the UK has played a role more recently. I know of Matt Easton who has been important for promoting Fiore's work, especially his efforts on the Getty Manuscript. However, am I missing other crucial contributors?

For those who voted for the UK, did you vote primarily based upon the precedent set in the Victorian era, or based upon modern times?
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Wed 18 Mar, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
I am curious- for those who voted for the UK, what are your reasons?

I can see that the UK had an early and crucial contribution during the Victorian era, under Egerton Castle, Alfred Hutton, Richard Burton, and the like. They certainly laid the foundation for later reconstruction of historic European martial arts, even if the later efforts took nearly a century to develop.

However, I am not sure how much the UK has played a role more recently. I know of Matt Easton who has been important for promoting Fiore's work, especially his efforts on the Getty Manuscript. However, am I missing other crucial contributors?

For those who voted for the UK, did you vote primarily based upon the precedent set in the Victorian era, or based upon modern times?

Hello Craig. I think it has a lot to do with Matt and Schola. Rightfully so, if I may add. But perhaps Tod's Stuff too. And HEMA supply stores in Britain.

Also -I have no clue if this is even remotely true- the number of european students might be larger than the number of american students at this point in time. Which might explain the difference in the amount of votes. Since they would vote what they know and in reality it is hard to know what exactly happens on another continent.
For instance last year HEMA got a little spot on a late night show here in Holland. About a million people watch that show every night. That is pretty huge for a population of 17 million. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody in the states heard about that. I know some Belgians did. Some Germans and Brits too.

Plus Brits speak the best english of all europeans. So they have that going for them in the sharing info department.

Then again, I am european and I voted US of A. Which reminds me, since I forgot about Italy and looked at Germany again, I have a slightly different top 10 now:

1 USA
2 Sweden
3 Poland
4 UK
5 Germany
6 Czech Rep
7 Italy
8 Netherlands (because lets face it... 5th was a little bias of me)
9 France
10 Slovakia

honorable mentions go to Hungary and Spain.

Mind you, in a year this could be completely different.

What does your top 10 look like?

Sir Dreamin'
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 24 Mar, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Somewhat relevant to the topic:
When the Vikings Take All Your Gold and Silver

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Sun 05 Apr, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
Somewhat relevant to the topic:
When the Vikings Take All Your Gold and Silver

Regards,

Nice link Vincent. Thanks. This confirms many of the notions I had regarding the HEMA scene in europe and america.

Sir Dreamin'

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Rank countries by contribution to HEMA
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic