What is it?
Hello. Sorry for my bad English.

I need help. The book "Daggers And Bayonets. A history" by Logan Thompson, I saw "Italian devider" (photo attached).
Could someone tell, what it is, how and why use it?

Thank you in advance.

Attachment: 54.58 KB
ScreenShot 115.jpg

That looks to me like a drawing compass or indeed a divider or caliper. It is a technical drawing tool used to draw perfect circles and archs. It can also be used to measure distances. Something an architect or engineer would use or perhaps a navigator.

Kinda cool. It seems it could double as a dagger or even a parrying dagger. But that is hard to tell without knowing the dimensions of the object.
Gunner's stiletto. Many of these are multipurpose tools. They can clear a cannon vent or prick a charge. Etched or engraved measuring marks are common. This one also serves, presumably, as a divider for map work or possibly as a crude caliper for measuring bore.
Sean Flynt wrote:
Gunner's stiletto. Many of these are multipurpose tools. They can clear a cannon vent or prick a charge. Etched or engraved measuring marks are common. This one also serves, presumably, as a divider for map work or possibly as a crude caliper for measuring bore.

I should have known better than to think it was just a simple drawing/measuring tool... I love myArmoury but sometimes it makes me feel really dumb ;)
Yes, for using with a sector/proportional military compass.

Cheers

GC
Ahhh--that's so cool! Does anyone have pictures or links to other examples of this kind of weapon/tool?
often the arms are inscribed with ranges, powder and shot weights and the like.
Kai Lawson wrote:
Ahhh--that's so cool! Does anyone have pictures or links to other examples of this kind of weapon/tool?

American elementary school geometry class, mid-80's, where they handed out drawing compasses with sharp metal spikes to two dozen kids because "cause and effect" is a mystery to school management. You know what they say about compass fencing, it's all fun and games until someone gets a spike poked all the way through their hand, then they get to go to the hospital and then the teachers take away all the compasses.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: