Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My First Sword - Seeking Advice! Lutel Handicraft Zweihander Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alexander Z

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: My First Sword - Seeking Advice! Lutel Handicraft Zweihander         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've been browsing for quite a while and have finally gotten around to making an account so this is my first post (apologies for issues with formatting etc!). First off I want to say a quick thank you to the legions of contributors that have entertained and educated me in the background that ultimately led to me purchasing my first sword!

I purchased a Zweihander from Lutel Handicraft using 16003 as my base model. Thanks to the enormously co-operative, timely, and friendly customer service from Jan I was able to make a large number of customisations (especially the crossguard) and as such came up with my own design! I hope you guys like it, personally I am in love with it and could NOT be happier with how it has come out! This is a good point to mention that Lutel Handicraft is the official Lutel company as they split from Lutel.eu a number of years ago due to issues with the management. All advice has pointed me towards Lutel Handicraft and to AVOID Lutel.eu at all costs.

Right, now this has now set the scene for my request to you guys: How can I best maintain my sword? I am worried that there is evidence of starting rust on the scabbard metal + to a lesser extent discolouration of the blade. I am happy to buy whatever is needed, but I just do not know what to get. I would also love to know if there is anywhere in the UK I can take it and be taught how to properly maintain it as at the moment I am just relying on youtube videos.

Any help is very very welcome!

Attachment Guide: Varterklinge 1 & 2 are pictures of the sword by Lutel, Discolouration 1 & 2 are photos taken today of blemishes to the metal.

Attachment: 66.62 KB
Vaterklinge 1.jpg

Attachment: 116.96 KB
Vaterklinge 2.jpg

Attachment: 30.03 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 47.42 KB
[ Download ]
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here you go:

Care and Maintenance of the Modern Replica

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
J. K. Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful Sword! I especially like the Fleur de Lis ends of the cross guard.
Alexander Z

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Nathan, very helpful! I am hoping to get hold of a blacksmith to show me how best to clean etc so that I don't mess it up. I'm terrified of damaging the blade...

Glad you like the design J. I spent ages coming up with an appropriate crossguard design!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander Z wrote:
Thanks for the link Nathan, very helpful! I am hoping to get hold of a blacksmith to show me how best to clean etc so that I don't mess it up. I'm terrified of damaging the blade...

Glad you like the design J. I spent ages coming up with an appropriate crossguard design!

Blacksmiths won't help you. They aren't swordmakers. They're blacksmiths.

Read the article. It's good advice. You can't mess it up. Don't overthink it.

If you just wipe it down after you touch it or use it, you'll be fine. If you start getting patination (like the photos you show which are likely caused by fingerprints) then use some of the products mentioned in the article. You'll be shocked how easy it is to clean a sword. Its not a big deal.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Alexander Z

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Update:

Thanks all for the advice. I cleared all the pitting etc and now the sword looks good as new. Happy
I used both the myArmoury maintenance guide and the following video. Perhaps this will help someone else in a similar situation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l_6uGbsjMvs

Thanks again!
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is your first sword?

Well done, a real beauty. My first sword back in the day, while sentimental, is a bit of an also ran in comparison.
Beware, it's an addictive interest.

Indeed, keeping your swords clean and free from the elements is relatively simple. Nathan's referenced article will serve you well.

Thanks for your post.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Renaissance Wax is also an excellent preservative for use swords, knives. etc. Nice choice for a first sword. I've owned several Lutel pieces, I like them.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 May, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

VERY nice!!! Congrats on a beautiful sword. I've had good luck with mineral oil for keeping rust at bay.
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My First Sword - Seeking Advice! Lutel Handicraft Zweihander
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic